********** products

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:51 am
Hey everyone. Anybody use or familiar with the quality of **********'s paint? I am interested in their black paint because I've read that it's the blackest paint out there.

Thanks...Al
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:34 am
If you want the blackest black you can find, get someone to mix you Ferrari Nero (ppg 95150). I'm sure ********** is also very good and if Barry says it is absolute black I would believe him.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:33 pm
Thanks for the response Chris
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:01 pm
If you call them they will send you a sample.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:15 pm
chevman wrote:If you call them they will send you a sample.

I called a while back and was told they don't have samples of the black paint.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:36 pm
I dont shill for Barry like some guys but i have used ********** products ,mostly ther epoxy primers (great) and i use there reg build urehane primer (very good0.Im gonna try there universal clear on an overall in a couple of months.Barry seems like a decent guy.He also answers the phone if u have a tech?,Mike

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:51 am
I just finished a resto using ********** Epoxy Primer and Uni Clear. Having used many different brands over the years, I can't say I was blown away by their product. Their epoxy primer lays out great, and has good adhesion to the substrate, but I think their cure times as described in the TDS make no sense. I am a beliver of spraying wet on wet, no over night cure before applying base. By allowing the primer to cure over night, I had adhesion issues with my base. Not happy.

As for the clear, it buffs well and has a good gloss, but I had to play with it to get it to lay smooth. If you go heavy to get it to flow you are guaranteed to get solvent pops, and if you spray "as is" without thinning, it leaves you with some gnarley orange peel.

I know a ton of guys in the online forums swear up and down that ********** is the best thing on the market, but I personally am still playing with it to see if I will re-purchase. It has its benefits and drawbacks, but I reccommend getting a small quantity and spraying some test panels to see what you think.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:14 am
I've used most of the ********** products and I am generally pretty happy with them. I've only had a few issues but it wasnt **********'s fault.

to the pposter above me. what was the epoxy mix that you let sit overnight before basing on? just 1:1?

I always reduce my epoxy 1:1:1 when using just as a sealer and then base 15-20min after. no problems with adhesion.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:59 pm
Thanks. Johnny, I am curious, too.

Return to Body and Paint