First Time Project

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:09 am
Need some advice. This is my first project. I am painting my fairings for my motorcycle. I have BC/CC a couple of pieces but have a lot or orange peels. Did some research and a little practice and figure out what was wrong. I want to reshot those couple of pieces because the orange peels are so bad. My question is do I sand those pieces down with 600 until they are smooth and then reshot with base and clear because my base will cover the 600. Or do I try to sand back down to primer and then reshot.
Thanks in advance

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:43 am
Wet sand the clear with 600 until all orange peel is gone. As long as you don't sand through the clear you will be good to go.
Remember the clear is a lot thinner on the edges and any body lines. Some guys will apply tape to those areas just to be safe and then dull them with scotchbrite before painting.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:37 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Wet sand the clear with 600 until all orange peel is gone. As long as you don't sand through the clear you will be good to go.
Remember the clear is a lot thinner on the edges and any body lines. Some guys will apply tape to those areas just to be safe and then dull them with scotchbrite before painting.

Thanks for the advice. Just one thing, if I should sand through the clear then I should reshot with base coat and then clear, right.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:59 pm
If you sand through clear you will need spot in some 2k primer, wet sand, then base to match/blend and clear.
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:04 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:If you sand through clear you will need spot in some 2k primer, wet sand, then base to match/blend and clear.
There is one thing I don't understand, while would I need to spot 2k primer if I sand through clear. Shouldn't I just shot the whole thing with base since its the same base under the clear anyway. I will most likely sand through the clear anyway to remove the orange peel that's in the base.
Thanks in advance

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:49 am
Because the thinner in the base coat will react with the exposed edges of the clear where you've sanded through and you'll end up with a spot that looks different at best, edge mapping more likely. The primer seals these exposed edges and allows a consistent application of base.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:47 am
NFT5 wrote:Because the thinner in the base coat will react with the exposed edges of the clear where you've sanded through and you'll end up with a spot that looks different at best, edge mapping more likely. The primer seals these exposed edges and allows a consistent application of base.
Chris,
Since I have orange peel in my base it would be best just to sand everything down until its smooth and then re-shot with 2K primer then base and then clear Right. Thanks in advance for the advice I want to make sure I do this right.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:56 am
Are you sure the orange peel is in your base? Base normally lays down very nicely unless you sprayed it extremely heavy.
Most orange peel is in the clear coat. If you look at the Cut and Buff section there are some detailed posts on removing orange peel.

Here's one where a lot of ideas and products are discussed: viewtopic.php?t=10555&highlight=buffathon
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:23 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Are you sure the orange peel is in your base? Base normally lays down very nicely unless you sprayed it extremely heavy.
Most orange peel is in the clear coat. If you look at the Cut and Buff section there are some detailed posts on removing orange peel.

Here's one where a lot of ideas and products are discussed: viewtopic.php?t=10555&highlight=buffathon
I am pretty sure its in the base. I will try sanding it down with 600 and see what happen. If it work than that's great I can shot two more coat of clear, sand and buff. Thanks 68 for the advice.

Return to Body and Paint