Getting ready to paint for first time. Need advice

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:03 pm
I forgot to ask. Should I use a tack cloth before clear coating? If so how long should I wait to tack after I spray the base? Are there different tack cloths for this?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:06 pm
Yes you need to do that before each coat of base and before your first coat of clear.

Do it very gently. I more or less lightly drag the tack cloth over the panels - if you find the urge to "wipe" them with your tack cloth then stop yourself. You just want to get any dirt or overspray dust off. Use tack clothes that do not contain any wax or silicone - get them from your auto body jobber do not use the tack clothes from the big box store or hardware store.

We are using Gerson #020008G, seems to work really well.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:06 pm
Just wait until the coat of paint is not tacky or you can leave marks in it.

Quick question about painting at home, might help the op.

When using a low budget booth, one made of plastic sheets, is it better to have a sealed booth with no air movement to keep dust down, or a booth with a filter on one end and a fan on the other to move air around and empty out the over spray?

Reason I asked is during my last paint job, I had a booth with a filter and fan, and the over spray was removed, but the air movement always seemed to kick up dust into the paint.

I was a double edge sword, I either get rid of over spray or keep dust down. I eventually smartened up and wet down the floor ( I read somewhere this isn't good because it could release contaminates into the booth) and I was able to keep down the dust dramatically but I still has some because of the air movement.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:16 pm
You need airflow. Put filters over the openings in your plastic, and on your box fans...the cheap furnace filters from Home Depot are fine for this. Wet the floor too, as long as it's just damp and not a puddle of water that's ok.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:04 am
These are the activators from **********. I will be using the ********** 4000-1 Universal Clear. Which activator should I go with for temp around 70 degrees? Here is the link for the clear

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/te ... 202013.pdf

4001-4 Multi-Panel Activator – Quart
4002-4 Fast Activator – Quart
4003-4 Slow Activator – Quart
4004-4 Very Slow Activator - Quart

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:09 pm
The slower the activator, the longer the flash time and the longer the paint will stay "wet"

Right now I would say the fast activator would be best, its getting cooler. Most cases Fast =65-75 Medium 75-85 F Slow 85-95F, temps can vary from manufacturer though.
Last edited by f575gtc on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:35 pm
Ok I ordered my ********** universal clear. Should be here in a few days. Im about to order a gallon of PPG Deltron DBC base coat. I noticed it states on their website that the dry time between coats is 10-15 mins. Can I wait longer than 10-15 mins to apply another coat? I ask because if I spray the entire car at the same time it will take me longer than that for each coat.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:39 pm
15 min is usually a dust free or track free time

re-coat windows are usually hours long.

The Kirker paint I used has a 18 hr re-coat window.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:29 pm
Thank you guys for all your help, I will start painting this weekend. Ill keep you posted. I will prime the car tomorrow using the ********** epoxy primer. How many coats of primer do you recommend? It should be no problem to prime tomorrow and paint the next day right?

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:40 am
Overnight should be a good dry time for the primer.
Please make sure you have respiratory protection if you are painting in your garage! Isocyanates are nothing to mess with. An inexpensive cartridge filter from SAS, 3M, or DeVilbiss should work well.
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint