Looking for help finding a satin silver paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:44 pm
Hi all.

I have a 1968 Porsche 912 which I am restoring. It has been block-sanded and is ready for paint.

I would like to paint the car satin silver, but I'm having a difficult time finding a paint that matches the picture in my mind.

After weeks of running different searches on the web, I found this...

I love the paint on this car - the way the highlights reflected in the paint are really bright, and the shadows are really sooty. It really brings out the shape of the panels, and makes it almost look like it hasn't been painted, which is what I'd like to achieve with my little Porsche.

This truck also has some of that going on, although perhaps a bit bright for my liking:

I have looked at paints from Hot Rod Flatz, but I don't like either of the two silvers they offer (Silver Sled or Sterling Silver).

I also found this image of a radiator painted in Hammerite Silver and Black mixed 1:1. I like the effect (again bright brights, and dark darks), but I don't particularly want to paint my car in Hammerite!

Do any paint pros out there have an idea how I might be able to achieve the look I'm going for using conventional automotive products?

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:08 am
The right shade of silver is going to be the key. To unlocking what your after. (To find the goldilocks zone not to bright/dark) Access to a paint mixing system is really what you need. To see what metallics are in different silvers. Fine metallics give a bright face and course give a dark cast.
Then use a flat clear. I've always used a flatin agent added to whatever clear I was using. That way you can vary the sheen.
Also with flats. Your final spray is what it is. You cain't nib, sand or rub anywhere.
Use a speed shape to test your color on.
If it ain't BROKE fix it till it is!!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:12 pm
another option is to add flatting agent to your clear to get the desired amount of matt/gloss.

honda blade silver looks like this (no clear on this, was just some leftover base i used as a guide coat over alot of primer)

Return to Body and Paint