Not Spraying Like It Should.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:34 pm
Yes. Thanks for that.

I'm not planning to do any house painting with the gun. Just these shelves.

They are 2 m x 1.2m x 0.5 all cut to size at the moment and this is a good time to paint them.

The gun does it much quicker and neater than I would and, as I said, I want the gun practice for later use on the car.

I don't have any manufacturer's stuff with the gun. Had them for years. If I ever had any it's gone now. But I think they're rated for a working pressure of 50lbs. That's just something stuck in my mind. Might be very wrong.

I'm (obviously) very dumb on paint. I'll talk to the Bunnings man and get the right stuff for spraying furniture - if it's not too, too expensive. It's all too expensive.

:)

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:34 am
I've sprayed latex a couple of times. Used my primer gun. I had to use several coats because of thinning so much. Then had to let dry. Sand to smooth then one last over thinned top coat. It's not a bit faster.
Oil based paint sprays on smoother. Still takes several coats. Because of having to thin so much. Takes a long time to dry also.
I've always used oil for my trim on house inside and outside. Add some penetrol to help flow brush and roller marks. With latex for walls and ceilings inside.
If it ain't BROKE fix it till it is!!

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:14 am
I see what you mean. I've put three coats on there now and I'm planning another.

But the first coat was wall paint not meant for spraying.
Very sandy. Had to rub down.
So I got some wall paint 'meant' to be sprayed, that was the second.
Still sandy. Had to rub down.
Still bad so I today got some enamel and sprayed that. With lower pressure on the gun.
Much better but a tad sandy and as you say, not thick enough.

I've been thinking I'm only doing so many coats because I've done it wrong that first two times. But you're saying I'll need three coats anyway?

Looking at that last coat I think you'd be right.

I guess by now I could have had them brush painted.

Settled In

South Africa
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:15 am
I saw someone paint the outside wall of his house using a chipcoat gun. He put one of those silicone bottle nozzles on it. Looked allraait to me. :wink:

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:36 am
Never knew about them. But googled it and learned a bit.

80psi. !

must have had a fair compressor.

and 'silicon bottle nozzle' ? I googed that, too, and it looks just like a baby's bottle teat. One of them?

what sort of spray do you get with that? must have taken him forever. what was he spraying - cement render?

I finished my job. One coat of enamel and it's good enough for us.

Now doing a different job - painting a 2metre x 2metre Mdf for a baseboard for a model train set. I did it with green acrylic I've had laying around for a year - or maybe 2 years.

Watered it down.

Seemed to go on alright until the pot was nearly empty. then the gun started firing bursts of colour. I suppose sucking up the dregs as I moved the gun and it slopped around and sometimes got some and sometimes didn't.

Well the point is: those 'bursts' were dark green. Dark. Like all the pigmentation had settled to the bottom of the pot.

First colour I've ever sprayed save years ago when I was spraying the car. Nothing like that happened with the car.

Is that to be expected? Or is it my fault for thinning with water? Asked a salesman in Bunnings and he seemed to think water was a good enough thinner for water base acrylic.

What's the story?

Perhaps I should start a new thread?
Previous

Return to Body and Paint