Masking over Primer-Sealer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:11 pm
I am getting ready to paint my 1978 Ford pickup. I am painting it the factory "tu-tone" style metallic green + silver. Its in black primer right now. I have a gallon of grey crossfire sealer that I want to spray for the final coat before topcoat. Since Its a two tone color I am going to have to mask directly to the paint.

Im worried about if I spray the entire truck in sealer, then mask it off, the tape will pull the sealer off with it. Or If I spray sealer, and let it dry too long it wont make a good bond with the paint. How should i go about sealing, and masking my stripes the correct way? Thanks

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:53 pm
If the tech sheet doesn't state a dry time for taping, just go by the dry time for sanding. If you use a good tape (e.g. 3M) you should not have any issues - if the real automotive 3M masking tape pulls off the sealer then you didn't have a good enough adhesion to begin with.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:01 pm
chris wrote:If the tech sheet doesn't state a dry time for taping, just go by the dry time for sanding. If you use a good tape (e.g. 3M) you should not have any issues - if the real automotive 3M masking tape pulls off the sealer then you didn't have a good enough adhesion to begin with.

I would have to sand the entire truck once more after the sealer coat if I go by the sanding time correct?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:23 pm
Well, that all depends on what the recoat window is and if the vehicle was subject to sunlight (UV light). Base coat on fresh urethane sealer has good adhesion. If you are close enough to the recoat window I would not sweat it. If you are way beyond it and the truck has sat out in the sun for a day or two..then yes, sand it.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:49 pm
chris wrote:Well, that all depends on what the recoat window is and if the vehicle was subject to sunlight (UV light). Base coat on fresh urethane sealer has good adhesion. If you are close enough to the recoat window I would not sweat it. If you are way beyond it and the truck has sat out in the sun for a day or two..then yes, sand it.

Okay so, the sealer I'm using recoat window is 1hr wet on wet, martin senour says that is to prevent lifting of the topcoat. They say after that you can respray the sealer and topcoat it. Now it dries in 10-30 minutes so I don't think I can lay out all my stripes in a half hour. Would I be okay with that? Last paint job I did, I had problems with poor base to sealer adhesion so I don't want to do that again, Thanks! :rockon:

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:22 pm
Yeah, that's too risky.

Can you get some base on that sealer within the window, then do your masking? An intercoat clear (really, clear base) would be good...and give you a 24 hour window.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:34 pm
chris wrote:Yeah, that's too risky.

Can you get some base on that sealer within the window, then do your masking? An intercoat clear (really, clear base) would be good...and give you a 24 hour window.

When spraying a two tone base color some say you can spray the stripe without masking then mask it off and spray the main color. Others say not too. Im spraying metallic green with silver stripes

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:40 pm
Ah. This tidbit of information helps. So, here's how I'd do it:

Shoot the sealer.

Shoot the green metallic, entire car.

Shoot an intercoat clear, over the to-be masked/striped panels.

Tape over the intercoat clear. Don't tape onto the metallic base, the tape can screw up the metallics and leave a ghost line.

Shoot the stripes. Then bury everything in 3-4 coats of clear.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:50 pm
chris wrote:Ah. This tidbit of information helps. So, here's how I'd do it:

Shoot the sealer.

Shoot the green metallic, entire car.

Shoot an intercoat clear, over the to-be masked/striped panels.

Tape over the intercoat clear. Don't tape onto the metallic base, the tape can screw up the metallics and leave a ghost line.

Shoot the stripes. Then bury everything in 3-4 coats of clear.
Hmm, the system I'm using (crossfire) doesn't seem to have an intercoat clea . Any other comparable intercoat clears?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:06 pm
Take a look at their Tec/Base TS66.

Return to Body and Paint