Pros/cons of sanding metalic basecoat before clear?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:18 pm
I'm going to paint my 65 Mustang 2015 Porsche GT silver. I really like the liquid metal paint option and was lucky to be able to see it in person on a 918 but at $255/pint, it's out of my price range, so the GT silver is the plan. I'm a little concerned that I may have to do a bit of sanding to the silver base coat to remove dust or other debris since I'll be painting in my garage. I'm planning on putting up plastic and being as clean as possible, but it won't be like a spray both. In the past when I've painted lacquer, I didn't worry about dust because it was so easy to wet sand out contaminants. However, I've read different posts about possibly messing up a metallic base coat by sanding it. Do I need to worry if I do have to sand the base coat? Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:37 pm
You will be fine as long as you don't sand the entire car.
If you are worried about sanding out debirs, keep an eye out for the debris while painting and sand once base coat dries and re spary the area. If you clean your garage wash the car well and use a wax and grease remover, you will have minimal to no debris that will require heavy sanding.
Use a tack cloth after each coat.
I painted in my garage the other day with the door about half way open, only thing i needed to sand was a few runs and re sprayed the small area. Did a drop coat of base and tacked it off and sprayed the clear and it came out good.
Just make sure you clean everything and you will be good.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:10 pm
Don't sand basecoat.

Wash the entire vehicle before painting, hose out your spray area, mask and tack carefully and wear a proper paintsuit. Any really tiny bits of dirt in the base you won't see, once cleared.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:13 am
^^^^ both of above, you can't sand the metallic base coat with out damaging the metallic color BUT you can sand or nib it then reshoot the color. just be as clean as you can. the paint suit is good, when you do the final wash hose off under the car as much as you can and wet the floor down. try not to have any puddles on the floor. also tack the last 6 ' of the hose off
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:28 pm
badsix wrote:........also tack the last 6 ' of the hose off .......

Good tip. I feel most dust gets in the paint from moving the hose
and your arms around, whether covered with a suit or long-sleeved shirt.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Return to Body and Paint