Bad orange peel or bad spraying.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:36 pm
image.png
image.png
On the passanger door it looke and feels like I got very bad orange peel or I sprayed too far from the panel. How's it look from the picture? Should I sand the door down and try to polish it or just respray the door?
It feels rough but not dry. If that makes sense.
Some parts along the passanger side of the car have it but not so severe that I think sanding it out and polishing it may work. What do you guys suggest.
You can really see what I'm talking about on the top a of the door. Right below the window.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:16 pm
was the paint mix right, looks like it went on relay thick ?
people her are smarter them me and I will let them answer that question,

If it was me I would sand it down and reshoot and be pissed off, always shoot a test paper 1st
How far were you holding the gun away ?

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:33 pm
Thanks for the reply redvetttes, the paint was mixed right. The rest of the car looks fine. Just this door looks really bad. The gun was about 6" away. May have been further on that door. I might just sand it and respray it like you said.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:13 am
wet sand a small section and hit it with a buffer to see what it looks like, you might get lucky.Re-doing on panel beats re-doing the whole car again ?
Did you save any paint from the 1st shoot?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:52 am
Looking at the pictures I would disagree that the rest of the car looks alright.
Your spray gun is either not set up right or you have insufficient air supply to run your spray gun.
Do you set it up using masking paper taped to the wall?

By the way, is that a reflection or panel damage on that door near the handle area?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:43 pm
Redvetttes, thanks, I did sand a small section with 2k paper and hit it with the buffer and the heavy peel went away.
Once I saw it worked, sanded the rest of the car down. Focusing on areas with heavy orange peel and buffed and it looks much better now. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
I did burn through the paint in some areas when sanding. (Right door and fender.)
Single stage paint by the way.

Coronet, you're right. The rest of the car didn't look that good before the cutting and polishing it. Now it looks better than before.
I do test out the way the gun sprays first on a sheet of plastic of paper.
It came or fine and other times it seemed to be hardly coming out(probably explains why the door looked the way it did) I think the paint was too thick to start with.
And yes that is panel damage. Not sure if you remember but I posted another topic in the forum about putty cracking down to the metal.
I told the girl I'm painting it for it was better to get a new old door, but she did not want to spend the money and said shoot it the way it is. Working it smooth would have cost her the same as a door. As the dents are popped outward and not inward.
I might go over some more areas with 2k then buff again if I missed any

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:32 pm
Serf27 wrote: As the dents are popped outward and not inward.

Based on your other thread about these "dents", I presume you do not know what caused them. They are caused by a stud gun. In fact, the remnant of a stud is visible in your photo. They are not dents from the inside but the result of yanking the stud with the slide hammer. I'm betting you do not own this tool.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:15 pm
ScottB wrote:
Serf27 wrote: As the dents are popped outward and not inward.

Based on your other thread about these "dents", I presume you do not know what caused them. They are caused by a stud gun. In fact, the remnant of a stud is visible in your photo. They are not dents from the inside but the result of yanking the stud with the slide hammer. I'm betting you do not own this tool.

Yea they are from a stud gun. And no I don't own one...Yet.
I think I mentioned that somewhere here? Or maybe I didn't
I thought they were somehow created from the inside but it didn't make sense, then I saw where the stud was cut off and it made more sense why the spots on the panel pop out.
I'm guessing last person pulled a dent out too far and left it as is and just built up putty around it.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:49 pm
Just some constructive criticism here. It seems you are passionate about this industry based on the fact you spend time on this forum and post questions, etc. However my advise to you would be to spend some more time on here and youtube reading articles and watching how to videos. Be sure you are using the right tools and materials for the job. There are paint lines you can get for around $40 a quart like Nason, Omni, and Wanda. Make sure you are using at least that good of paint. Clear coat you can get Transtar, Tamco and other economy lines for as low as $75 a gallon. Make sure you are using at least a 60 gallon 3hp air compressor.

As far as the work you have said you are doing there really shouldnt be any need to wetsand and buff anything. Dealer jobs and low end customers arent gonna be expecting it to be perfect. Based on the pics you posted it looks like you were most likely doing several things wrong. Probably using too cheap of a paint, too fast of a reducer, and not enough air pressure, and spraying too far from the panel.

I started out self taught and was a vehicle rebuilder for a few years before I started advertising body work. I bought how to videos and hung around a few local body shops. Even exchanged free labor for some training at one of them. Now I have too much work cant ever get caught up and constantly turn down work that is too labor intensive or doesnt pay enough.

Stick with it and realize the better work you turn out the more work you will get.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:56 pm
Wow thanks for that mmoney!
I too started on vehicles but I was more into mechanical work. Engine rebuilds, suspension and just maintanence. I am passed that now as banging my hands on parts when a stubborn bolt comes loose in freezing weather does not feel nice. Just too many things and too many different makers of cars to do the work.
Doing auto body, it's just that, Autobody! Plain and simple.
This paint job was supposed to be a shoot the paint and send the customer on their way.
But as you said, I had a number of things wrong leading me to have to do some cutting and polishing. Turning this low end fast paint job into the work of something not intended.
I have had other cars come out with great results. Usually repaints of factory colors and any orange peel left behind is the same as factory.
Other cars such as show cars or customer who wants it cut and polished start getting into the higher end jobs I've done and have ahead.
Have also been absorbing any info from videos and from the forum that I gather. Thank you for the constructive criticism.
Have a bit of work to catch up to also and have only turned down one job. In the few months I've been doing it.
Not to throw the topic off track but here's a picture of a car I did a few weeks ago.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Next

Return to Body and Paint