Paint bubbling/lifting on 4 month old paint job

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm
I painted one of my cars about 4 months ago, I was very happy with my results. Then about a week or two ago I noticed what looked like a quarter sized bubble in the clear coat on the rear bumper. I never noticed it before, so figured it had to be "new" then today I look again and the bubble has spread to a good 16" wide along the concave curve along the bumper cover. When I touched it today I can see the paint seems to be lifting from the bumper. It looks like the base and clear (can't be sure about the primer?) seems like something trying to escape, and seems to have come on since things got very humid here in PA. The OE finish on the bumper was sanded before three coats of primer surfacer, and the primer was sanded with 400 before base/clear. Anyone have any ideas about what might have caused it? Any way to slow it down, or just time to strip the bumper and try again? It was hard to capture in pictures so here's a video of me poking at it, you can see how it's separating from the substrate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uxcWszqUkc

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:23 pm
was it a new bumper and bare plastic ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:38 pm
no, it was the original bumper and paint as far as I could tell. I'm wondering if somehow I missed sanding that con caved area!? seems unlikely, but anythings possible!? My other thought it I could've sanded through in the spot where it start to the plastic and now as it heats up it's letting gasses out?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:47 pm
only way to know for sure is rip the bubble off
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:17 pm
grrrr I was thinking the same thing! I took a razor and poked a tiny little hole at each end of the bubble to let gas escape. see if that at least slows down the progression (wish i had done that when it was small!) it's a weekend race car, no show car or even daily driver, so if stays put I'll probably just leave it. I think I still have enough supplies to repaint the bumper, and it should blend in fine doing just the bumper after only a few months of easy living in a garage

Return to Body and Paint