The Ultimate Cure for Orange Peel

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:41 pm
Sportbikepainter,

That's very true about having too much air and blowing peel into the surface. I've noticed it also. It makes ripples or waves in your coat and makes the surface kick off, drying the paint and setting these waves up so they won't lay back down.

I have the trigger stop adjusted to about 3/4 travel, fan about 5/8 open, air cranked down quite a bit, just enough to break up the pattern and spray even. I don't even use an inline regulator anymore, just adjust for best spray.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:47 am
Sportbikepainter,

I do it quite a bit differently, but I have noted that everyone here actually takes the time to adjust their gun'

I adjust my gun before every use. However my starting points are considerably different than others here. Of course a lot of that has to do with the little gun I use (Iwata LPH-80) for virtually everything.

I do use a regulator at the gun and I start there. I set mine just under 20 pounds, probably around 18 or so. Then I adjust my cap pressure; I close down the adjuster until the pressure moves up on the guage and then open it back up slowly until the pressure drops to its lowest reading - then I readjust the air into the gun back to my 18 pound setting. Then I preset the fluid to 2 turns out. My gun is full open at 4 turns out. Next I go to the fan and I look not so much at width but at even coverage across the pattern. My gun shoots a 5" recommended pattern but the gun gives the best coverage somewhere closer to a 4" pattern, so that's about where it ends up. Once I've done that the only knob I'm likely to touch is the fluid knob, which is what I will use to fine tune the gun as I move along. Generally speaking I'll find myself opening up the fluid and it will end up around 2.5~3 turns out most of the time.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint