How to paint ghost flames?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:25 pm
Add the pearl to intercoat clear, HoK has what you need.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:31 pm
One method to find the ghost quality you want is to make a test panel...Say a strip about 3 - 4 inches wide by about a foot to a foot and a half long. Paint it black with one coat of clear, and let it dry enough to tape. put a number of tape stripes across it...with a little space between the tape lines. say ..Six lines of tape. I have been using "Harlequin " , and have found that cutting the full strength pigment back 10:1 with clear (10 parts clear to 1 Harlequin) gives the best choices. When you have decided how much clear to add to the pearl you are using, then remove 1 tape line from the test panel, and spray ONE even wet coat over the whole panel....Next ...remove another tape line and spray ONE coat over the panel. Repeat this process till you have removed and sprayed all of the tapes. The last tape line will show you what one coat looks like the first one you removed will show what 6 coats looks like etcetcetc....:If you find that the number of coats necessary makes too much build ( and tape edge), add more pearl to the clear and use fewer coats..
G

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:07 pm
Abe: FWIW- Im using DuPonts Chromaline for the bc/cc. When u speak of 'intercoat clear' is that the specific name to a clear or are we talking about adding a HOK pearl to the middle coat (after 1st but b4 the final) of the regular cc?

tia

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:15 am
HoK SG100 Intercoat clear is a non-final coat, non catylized clear used for tinting and protecting paint during tapeouts. There is no equivalent in chromasystem, except chromaclear, which isn't designed for the same thing but can be used as such anyway. I've heard PPG makes an intercoat clear, anyone know if that's true? I don't use PPG but I'm interested in switching eventually.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:52 am
Ghost/subtle flames are pretty cool, IMHO, and so is the idea of color sanding the flames to contrast with the glossy clear. I've been thinking of the opposite, shooting my bike flat with JD blitz black and then just shooting clear flames over the SS. Certainly easy enough and el cheapo way to go. But I need other opinions - I can visualize it, but not sure how cool it would look. Would black on black look dumb?

Thanks,
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:06 pm
No, that would kick some ****. Another idea is to use base/clear with flattening agent, then nice glossy clear flames and only polish that part. Or even easier to shoot might be a regular base/clear job, let it flash and tapeout the flames so the flat clear gets solid adhesion. I don't use much flattening agents so I don't know what this would look like if you buff the whole deal?

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:22 pm
Thanks Abe, I appreciate those ideas and now I've got something to think about. I actually sorta promised myself a while ago I'd always use BC/CC instead of SS from now on so maybe using a flattener makes sense rather than the cheap paint. It does seem a little funny to shoot a nice 2K primer and then follow it with a paint that's cheaper than Rustoleum.

Chris

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:15 am
Aberrant,

"""I've heard PPG makes an intercoat clear, anyone know if that's true? I don't use PPG but I'm interested in switching eventually."""

There is a PPG Inter-Coat CLEAR called DBC-500 and DBU-500.
http://www.ppg.com/refinishftpsite/docs/P-176.pdf

Dupont has one of these type of inter-coat clears too but don't remember the name/number.

I too am curious about the Picture under your name: Did you do it?

Later,

Don

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:27 am
Well, I should phone dupont and ask them flat out, cause my supplier was just confused when I asked about a non-catylized clear made by dupont. Good to know about the specific name of PPGs product, thanks.

Yeah, the picture under my name is out of my head, no reference.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:16 am
I have done "black on black" several times and it can look very good if done just right. The idea of contrasting matt finish with gloss works also ...BUT...there is a potential problem. 1...any polish or wax that is used on the gloss areas might get on the flat areas, and the residue might be hard to remove (makes a mess)....and the matt areas might get polished some over a period of time, and the graphic begins to dissapear.
G
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint