TINTED PRIMER?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:43 am
Sikkens, Spies, Standox, and PPG Global all have chromatic sealers and primers. I have used the Spies and the Sikkens.

They work about the same as using the right shade of gray. One problem I have seen people do is say they have a red car, they will use a red sealer that is too bright or dark. If you use red you have to make sure the value of it is also correct or you will loose the benefits of it. If you can get the color right and the value right your basecoat will cover in one coat.

One advantage in using them for collision work is we have an additive for ours that will turn it into an underhood color. You can eliminate a few steps and just use one product.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:38 am
paintpot wrote:jIMMO you need to keep things a bit not to technical for new comers.Especially beginners.Just a comment dont take it to hart.

Ya, after re-reading that post I see your point. Maybe not very newb freindly, looks like it's been cleared up, I'll keep that in mind.

Picking up on what ryan was saying i can tell you about one of my screw-ups trying to cut costs on a red job. I was spraying a red complete and had a great idea to save paint buy using (an un-reproducable), mystery red sealer. I used the red sealer, put on about 4 coats of paint and thought I had full coverage. When it came time to paint the bumpers they had a differerent color groundcoat and I had a different color on them when I finished painting. I had to tint the color and re-spray the bumpers to match.

Bottom line was the red sealer did nothing for coverage as the value was not correct. Luckily it was just a used car or i'd have been re-spraying the entire thing....still feel sorry for the next guy that may need to match it. :lol:
http://www.autobodyreviews.com

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:54 am
Trust me Jimmo, your not the only one who has done that. Of course it wasn't me! :roll:

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:57 pm
I have a similar problem where the guys at work insist on putting blue primer on ready for me to paint with a dark blue pearl that we spray a lot of (GM/Vauxhall Ultra Blue - 21B)

What they can't get into their heads is that the blue primer they're using has a shade of about 2 (going by ICI's 1-7 scale), so takes a hell of a lot of coverage, considering the recommended shade is 7, black!

"But it's blue" they say "so it's bound to help". :roll:

Same with some of the dark pearl reds - light red primer - awful coverage!

Thankfully the DeBeer scheme I'm using now has specially formulated undercoats for these kinds of poor hiding colours. You'd find it hard to believe that one coat of a red pearl could give you full coverage, but over the correct undercoat it does so easily.

Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:45 am
Here's what I have done. You can pretty much do it with any urethane primer.

The primer is Martin Senour speed complete, TP522. It started as white. I added 10% (3 ounces per quart) of dark brown pure toner to the primer. This is what I got. You leave out all the binders, solvents, etc. Just use pure toner from a urethane system.

This primer is super rad. It is sandable in 15 minutes. No joke, reread that. The primer stays as shiny as this picture is until you sand it. It lasts a long time too. I primed this whole car minus the trunk and hood with less than a pint.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:03 pm
i'd like to jump in on this a little. when ever i do a spot repair i try to prime with the same color primer as was used by the factory. gray, white , black or other. as for a compleat it really dos'nt matter as its going to be the same all over any way. but your primer or sealer or what ever you put your top coat color on is is going to change the finnal color with most colors. i like to use the dupont tan uro prim color under red. especially the viper red it makes it look like its florescent in the sun. allso white or silver under yellow. :? :)
Previous

Return to Body and Paint