********** clear - which are you using

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:40 am
Hey guys. Based on some recommendations, I am I getting ready to order some ********** clear to use for the first time. I know Universal is popular and a few folks are using the Euro 2020.

Question is..I do some panel work but also some race car/pro street stuff. Which is the best choice?? I don't mind having multiple clears, I just want to know your experiences on which works well for what.

Thanks!!!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:21 am
The Universal and MS are a bit on the soft side, great for restoration/custom work, more chip resistant.
The Euro is geared towards collision/production work, a bit harder than the above clears. But they all
look the same in the end... You really can't go wrong with any of the clears. i personally like the MS
and Euro the most.
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:37 am
Great thread! I've been looking for the same answer myself.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:40 am
TIP: For any basecoat you're using, add a cap full of the clear activator to it.
A man can do all things if he but wills them.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:46 am
yeah thats the thing, ********** has a bunch of great clears, its just finding the one that works for you, what you are doing and your spray environment. sounds to me like universal might be for you. great all around clear and great for your prostreet stuff since its more chip resistant. they now have a wider range of hardeners as well so its good for small piece work all the way up to overalls in hot weather.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:24 am
I do all my painting in teh paint booth at my brothers shop so I have very good lighting & air flow. Like everyone...the panel work I end up doing is normally quick turn around where I sand & buff within 48hrs. The complete stuff is sanded and buffed over a longer period of time.

Just want to make sure the clears I chose fit well for the times etc.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:00 pm
i have always felt that ********** clears, compared to others are on the fast side. you will have no problem with your timeframes with any of them. for the universal clear always go a step slower on the activator than what you normally would with another clear especially when in a good flowing booth.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:03 pm
Han wrote:TIP: For any basecoat you're using, add a cap full of the clear activator to it.

Could you explain this a little further? I am gonna be using Dupont ChromaBase for my base coat, should I do the same? Thanks

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:11 pm
Adding a bit of catalyst to your base helps with durability and adhesion. Goes for pretty much any base.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:25 pm
Ok, will definitely try this out.
Next

Return to Body and Paint