Kirker Nightmare black pearl color

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:29 pm
Jim, I see you knocking Kirker, but...... I DIDN'T SEE YOU MAKING ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!

So I take it you DON'T know of any products better or cheaper???

Frank Cox <--- real name
Cox Custom Cars <--- real company

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:22 pm
Actually since i said it was the worst paint i have used to date then almost anything would fall in the category of being better. Now cheaper on the other hand......it is cheap.....one of the cheapest. There are many other econo brands that would be better but not cheaper. If anyone's goal is to buy the cheapest paint they can get their hands on then i completely recommend kirker to them.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:56 pm
jim c wrote:Actually since i said it was the worst paint i have used to date then almost anything would fall in the category of being better. Now cheaper on the other hand......it is cheap.....one of the cheapest. There are many other econo brands that would be better but not cheaper. If anyone's goal is to buy the cheapest paint they can get their hands on then i completely recommend kirker to them.

What's that guy's name that you call in to do your painting for you? Not the guy at the Detail shop, Checker, but the other guy that does your painting? Where is your shop at? Is it in your garage at home? I think we would love to see a picture of your shop.

If you want to see my shop, just click on link in my signature. And there is even a picture of me there. All the pictures you see there are cars that I have done. They are not pictures downloaded off the internet.

Need I say more? I don't think so.

Frank Cox
Cox Custom Cars

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:13 pm
First of all frank dont act like you know anything about me. i do all my painting here. I dont call anyone in. I have posted many pics of my shop back when it was being built and i dont have one picture on my website that wasn't done here by either me or ed. What does this have to do with the quality of kirker paint and what do you care what my opinion of it is. If you like it use it.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:26 pm
No need to get bent out of shape Frank all of us have a right to an opinion and I do not recall anyone here attacking you personally or making derogatory remarks because you have yours.
You obviously produce quality work in your shop but so does Jim C so that really isn't the issue here.
The original poster was looking for some input and that's what he got. Now he'll have to chose his own course based upon the "opinions" he received here.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:58 pm
Kirker has been in business over 100 years.
They haven't accomplished that by selling junk.
You should go to their site and see all the cars owners have
sent pictures of, some real nice paint jobs.
There are thousands of cars out there that are doing quite well.
Including mine, now almost 4 yrs old and not a single chip on it,
and I drive it every day. I don't know about all their product but
their SS urethane is the most durable paint I've ever used.
I now have it on my boat, trailer and car. :wink:
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:02 pm
http://www.kirkerautomotive.com/html/gallery_home.asp
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:33 am
I have used Kirker epoxy and think its an OK product. Not great, not bad, just OK. It does sand very well however, just seems like it could be a little brittle for things like flexible bumper covers. I have used it on a couple of steel projects and found it works fine. At around $80 for 2 sprayable gallons, it can't be beat. If you're doing a bumper cover I'd stick with **********.

The clear and some of their other primers I would stay away from though (imo). The SSU like JCCLARK used is a great economy product and I plan on using some of it in a couple of months or less. Its definitely better than some of the junk people are selling on Ebay. I completely agree about the 100 year business/reputation. They might not be as good as PPG, Dupont, etc but they are not in the same price range either. It might not be popular on this forum, but a lot of guys use it on Hotrodders, layitlow, and places I've seen.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:32 am
countilaw wrote:
jim c wrote:Actually since i said it was the worst paint i have used to date then almost anything would fall in the category of being better. Now cheaper on the other hand......it is cheap.....one of the cheapest. There are many other econo brands that would be better but not cheaper. If anyone's goal is to buy the cheapest paint they can get their hands on then i completely recommend kirker to them.

What's that guy's name that you call in to do your painting for you? Not the guy at the Detail shop, Checker, but the other guy that does your painting? Where is your shop at? Is it in your garage at home? I think we would love to see a picture of your shop.

If you want to see my shop, just click on link in my signature. And there is even a picture of me there. All the pictures you see there are cars that I have done. They are not pictures downloaded off the internet.

Need I say more? I don't think so.

Frank Cox
Cox Custom Cars

I needed a good laugh this morning! I think Jims work has been well documented and the quality speaks for itself. If you read any of his posts they all give sound advice.

I will give a suggestion for a good low cost paint... U-Tech. Won't break the bank and the quality is there. Probably won't cost much more than Kirker.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:39 pm
It's been a while since I've 8) posted here, and I was hoping all of the Kirker bashing was done. Too bad i was wrong.
There is no one right way to paint a car, but there are a whole lot of wrong ways
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint