sprayed kirker for the first time

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:58 pm
In my shop I mix and 98% of the time used spies hecker, but I got a customer that is on a budget and wanted to go with a less expensive paint. I have been wanting to try Kirker for a long time so I suggested to him he like d the manderin pearl. I just did the engine compartment an I have to say it spray good laid down flat and wow does it flip in the light. I am posting this to let others know that there are some okay budget paint out their. Now for the rest of the car I will be spraying it using the base converter and a mid coat of red wine pearl and clearing it all with a nason clear but here is a pic of the engine compartment
Attachments
new pics 017.JPG

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:06 pm
I have used a lot of Kirker Paint as well as their Epoxy Primer, 2K primer and their Ultra Clear. Never had a complaint and always turned out great.

Frank Cox
Cox Custom Cars

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm
actually Frank, I think you are you one a few months ago that gave me the link to kirker, and to custom paint/paint with pearls. The paint with pearls is who I am getting the red wine pearl from

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:41 pm
My car, boat, and trailer has Kirker Urethane on them.
It's been really tough, on my car for almost 4 yrs now
and driven daily. Still looks as good as new.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:37 am
For the money it's very good paint and the guys at Smartshopper are great to deal with. I can usually order on monday and have wednesday.

Frank Cox
Cox Custom Cars

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:15 pm
Which clear is everyone using from kirker? Is anyone using these all over kits? The prices seem extraodinary! I'm not against economy paint especially clear.
As far as paints go I guess a painter could screw up an expensive brand as easily as another could slick out a cheaper one. I've had good luck with transtar and Montana clear also.
Harold

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:49 am
I have never used Kirker clear.
I use ********** clear and like it so well that I haven't
tried any others. Price wise it's about the same.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:03 pm
Any thought's compareing Kirker V/S Prospray price and durability? Anyone useing PPG Shopline?

Got a link for Kirker for the best price.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:30 pm
JCCLARK wrote:I have never used Kirker clear.
I use ********** clear and like it so well that I haven't
tried any others. Price wise it's about the same.

I've used ********** clear and it's not even close to the price of Kirker. The Ultra clear from Kirker is great stuff, the EC300 is also very good and a lot cheaper than **********.

Frank Cox
Cox Custom Cars

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:52 pm
What's the coverage? There's no coverage in the tech sheets, but it seems at the most, you get 1.4 sprayable gallons from one gallon of their ultra-glo ss urethanes. That's with the 3/4 gallon in the can of paint, 1 qt activator, and 10% reducer. They say reducing isn't necessary, so then you'd get only 1 gallon of sprayable paint. They also say to put 2 medium wet coats, and a mist coat for metallics.
Seems to me, the coverage should be pretty good, considering you get 1.5 or more gallons of sprayable paint from other "cheaper" brands. I measured my car, and to paint the engine bay, jambs, underside of the hood and trunk, and the whole exterior of the car, it's 450 sq.ft. That includes adding 10% for errors. So how much Kirker paint would I need when using a metallic color?
I'm using a SATA LM 2000 with a 1.4 tip.
Next

Return to Body and Paint