Lizard Skin VS Dynamat for sound proofing

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:35 am
I got my Dynamat Extreme off of eBay and the 2 complete boxes were leftover from a project the Seller had so I got a good deal on that. Then I got a better deal on the LizardSkin since it's made here in Houston. Otherwise, I never would've used it due to the cost and the fact that I already had the Dynamat Extreme. Price does play a huge part in these projects and I only had a pickup truck cab to deal with. I can only imagine the cost of coating or covering the interior of any decent sized car with any of this stuff. Personally I've been leary of the cheaper methods - the insulation from Home Depot, etc. only because of the materials they're made out of. I don't argue that they won't work, but that stuff could cause a huge mess if it doesn't. Here in hot Texas, I'd hate that asphalt to start making a mess on a brand new interior.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:47 pm
yea, i see people all the time using that foil backed wool like stuff. i can wounder what happins when that stuff gets damp or wet. i see people putting it in their doors where theres water. i had a buddy of mine he ran the stuff all the way to the bottom of the door that had to soak up some water :shocked: its better to spend a little more and get the right stuff :)
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:27 pm
I used to be in the car audio competition scene.I piled on that Dynamat like it was concrete until I got tired of shelling out the $$$$ for it.Any asphalt based product is going to have about the same characteristics.Just find the best deal.Hell I've used spray cans of undercoat with good luck! :goodjob:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:25 am
but that stuff stinks, worst that my dogs farts do :)
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:57 am
It really depends on what you're using.... I bought some no-name cheap stuff off Ebay that was asphalt based. I've done my entire bus with it inside and used the 2nd cheapest stuff on my roof without issue (E-dead). I don't notice any smell after a few months after installing it. Granted it doesn't get much more than 80F here on the coast (about 90F in the car), but its not like it smells like a freshly paved road! :)

The higher quality products definitely have better adhesive and are a lot more flexible than the cheaper products. If you're doing parts like roofs, walls, or other places that might sag - use the good stuff. The E-dead I'm using on my roof is an experiment to see if it will sag a few years down the road. So far it hasn't.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:54 pm
Have used Lizard Skin on several Toyota Landcruiser restorations. They all have V-8 engine swaps and the headers are close to the floor. This stuff works wonders for heat sheild. Apply over epoxy primer and it will stay forever. I also spray bed liner over the top of it for durability without floor mats or carpet. :D

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:46 am
54 Buick wrote:Have used Lizard Skin on several Toyota Landcruiser restorations. They all have V-8 engine swaps and the headers are close to the floor. This stuff works wonders for heat sheild. Apply over epoxy primer and it will stay forever. I also spray bed liner over the top of it for durability without floor mats or carpet. :D

Did you find that it was also a good sound deadener? I'm restoring an old Cadillac, and I want the roof to be quiet, and cool. Their ads state that the desired thickness of the product is about that of a credit card. What do you think? And, welcome to the site. I hope you find it as helpful and fun as I have. :welcome:
Life is short. Play hard.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint