Removing tape lines?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:29 pm
HERE are some pics you ask 4 badsix

hard edge masking

feather edge masking

hard primer edge

soft edge .when i get time il flat the hard edge and base and clear.and take pics.
NICE POST NELLY 74 TO AVOID TAPE LINES.
fail to prepare ,prepare to fail.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:17 pm
thanks paintpot, i know what your get at. i was hoping to get a picture from the o/p'er, i would just like to see what he is trying to do and where it is it might be a simple fix :)
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:25 pm
badsix wrote:thanks paintpot, i know what your get at. i was hoping to get a picture from the o/p'er, i would just like to see what he is trying to do and where it is it might be a simple fix :)

I'll get one when I can, everything is covered with snow at the moment. The main area of concern is a 4 inch long gash in the rear quarter panel. It didn't penetrate all the way through the metal but it is rather odd looking and beginning to rust so I plan to fix it as soon as I have a warm shop or warmer day. I plan to blend my paint in for about 8 inches on each side. A perfect blend isn't necessary as it is lower on the panel, I just want it to look like a gash. The hood is getting a full repaint so I will prime all of that and blend onto the fenders which will be sanded with 800 grit prior to blending for about 8 inches down the top of each fender. Fenders don't need bodywork so I'll skip the primer and just shoot over the factory paint. Does that sound about right?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:44 pm
I'm going to keep this short cause I tend to get long winded.... :oops:

When you do a rolled edge with your tape line, grab the tape off the roll with it already curled/folded so when you're going down the panel you're sticking the curl down and leaving one end flapping in the breeze.... Only about 25% of the tape is actually stuck to the panel this way. Basically you're sticking the very edge of the tape down and leaving most of it flapping back away. Be sure to shoot far enough away from the tape that whatever creeps under doesn't make a hard line.

If you're doing a hard line tape and spraying away from the area..... Do like PaintPot posted:

Then you can sand the primer to remove the orange peel/spots towards the edge and it won't telegraph into your top coat. (hologram, bullseye, whatever you wanna call it)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:58 am

TO the left feather edge flatted on line .To the right hard line flatted notice the line still left were the hard primer has made its mark.This is the line i was trying to show that will show through your base.

The next pic i took that really got up my nose was whichever way i took the pic it would not show you the line in the base ,because it was so fine ,and a lot of reflection.But it was there.
fail to prepare ,prepare to fail.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:24 pm
Thanks guys, that helps alot!
Previous

Return to Body and Paint