1st time painting a vehicle...

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:38 am
Thanks for all of the advice guys. Its really helping me figure out how I need to go with this. Looks like a trip to the paint store is gonna happen sometime this week.
By the way, does anybody know what made the factory paint flake off on the early '90s GM vehicles? Was it a basecoat or a primer issue?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:51 am
fastcobra wrote:Thanks for all of the advice guys. Its really helping me figure out how I need to go with this. Looks like a trip to the paint store is gonna happen sometime this week.
By the way, does anybody know what made the factory paint flake off on the early '90s GM vehicles? Was it a basecoat or a primer issue?

To me this is the real question. Personally, I wouldn't trust the factory primer to support my newly applied paint especially since there has already been an adhesion issue connected to it.
For peace of mind I would clean it, scuff it and shoot a sealer coat of epoxy primer first. Wait an hour or so and inspect for any lifting or other issues (shouldn't be any if the surface was cleaned properly) and then spray my 2k primer.
Definitely get the enamel hardener as suggested earlier.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31
Previous

Return to Body and Paint