********** clear soft?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:22 pm
http://www.5starautobodyproducts.com/primers/5451.htm

You need to find out what activator he used and also how old it was. Activators can go bad quickly if the container is not sealed back up correctly.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:26 pm
That primer is definitely Not the problem, if it was mixed and used correctly. I have actually used the Buff color version of that primer (MaxxFill) and its GREAT stuff! Fills extremely well and drys quickly. People do tend to pound it on too hard and don't let it flash long enough between coats. A buddy who turned me onto it, abused it a lot, but he just shot his color the next afternoon (usually after sanding) to avoid problems.
I used it over some white ********** epoxy primer on parts of my bus.

The worst mistake I made was using lacquer spray can primer over bondo that wasn't properly mixed. I was only 16 learning bodywork from my dad. It looked fine, but I felt like it was a little too rubbery in one spot. I was farming my paint jobs out and when I brought the car in, I had to sign a waiver because I did my own bodywork/prep. When I got the car back, the door that had the most work had crazing/cracks all through the paint. I raised a big stink with the owner, but he warned me, and said if I did it over again he would re-shoot the panel. I ended up selling the car and saving us both the hassle. ;) Lesson learned for me!

Sorry for the long post, but I'm thinking that might be part of what you're running into!
:goodjob:
Previous

Return to Body and Paint