Kirker START TO FINISH: BLACK DIAMOND LOW V.O.C BASECOAT

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:33 pm
I just used a gallon and a pint to paint the engine bay and the exterior of my civic (base only).

doing it all over again i would prime the WHOLE car (i know you didnt ask for tips but you suggested that you were not a pro). i only primed the spots that i used filler on and the spots where i sanded to bare metal since i thought that it would cover easily but it didnt. i primed the full car on other jobs and just wanted to try this. mistake. red pigment base coat was signifigantly more expensive than primer and it would have covered better than my 4-5 coats of base.
HellaFab.ca

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:41 pm
shlammed wrote:I just used a gallon and a pint to paint the engine bay and the exterior of my civic (base only). red pigment base coat was signifigantly more expensive than primer and it would have covered better than my 4-5 coats of base.

Which red did you use? I got complete coverage with 2 coats of Kirker Ultra-Glo inferno red SS. Also, Kirker Black Diamond in calypso green and pale agave covered with 2 coats. These were on scrap panels with multi-colored paint.
I also have wild red pomegranate, which is a candy base. I haven't tried it yet.
I heard these candy bases need more coats to cover well. JC Clark is one who attested to this with his bright orange metallic Civic.
I believe the tech sheet says to have one uniform color under the candy bases.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint