Kirker Paint ?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:04 pm
I was about to purchase KIRKER'S PLATINUM SILVER METALLIC Acrylic Glo Enamel Auto Paint 1 Gallon with the reducers and thinners. When I asked the guy about clear coat he told me enamel paint doesn't need clear coat. Enamel produces a natural shine. Is this true? I posted the link below on the paints description. :?:

http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/kirker/ ... amels.html

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:46 pm
Enamel's produce a natural shine,,,but it does not hurt to add clear over the top of it (If you can find it)

Make DAM sure you use the hardener with both the color and the clear........................
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:03 pm
OldDupontGuy wrote:Enamel's produce a natural shine,,,but it does not hurt to add clear over the top of it (If you can find it)

Make DAM sure you use the hardener with both the color and the clear........................

I was going to buy this kit. Is it ok?

KIRKER ACRYL-GLO ACRYLIC ENAMEL PAINT KIT

Kit Includes:

* 1 Gal. of Acrylic Enamel
* 1 Pt. of Wet Look Hardener
* 1 Qt. of Acrylic Reducer
* 5 Paint Sticks
* 5 Paint Strainers
* 1 1-Qt. mixing cup, for easy mixing

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:07 pm
If you like Kerker its fine.
I would get a larger mixing container if you are doing an all over..................
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:17 pm
OldDupontGuy wrote:If you like Kerker its fine.
I would get a larger mixing container if you are doing an all over..................

No problem

Should I buy clear coat?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:26 pm
Sure,,,If they sell it.
Like I said,,,make sure you use the hardener in the clear also.

Also, let your final coat of color flash off for about an hour before you spray your clear. The clear can move the metallic (If it is a metallic) if you get on it to soon with your clear.

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:37 pm
Kirker AE was the first paint I considered, since I had little experience with bc/cc, and it's cheap. I bought 1 gallon from an ebay dealer for 20 bucks, (closeout) just to try it out. Plenty of shine with a super wet look hardener, but I was a little skeptical and contacyed Kirker about using a clearcoat. They do not recommend using clearcoats over their AE, not even their own.
You can get a clear AE from paintforcars.com, but it has a very heavy yellow tint. Also, the shine didn't hold up well without the clear. I'd get the Kirker Ultra-Glo instead, it's a single stage urethane, (Like the AE, it doesn't have to be clearcoated) and will last longer. It also has a nicer shine than the AE. It has gotten good reviews from many that have used it. Frank Cox (Countilaw) uses it a lot.
I know I'm repeating this, but my neighbor recently sold a car painted with Ultra-Glo 6 years ago, and it still looked great. His car never saw a garage, but he washed it regularly.
Pivco.net has the best prices for Ultra-Glo, if you don't want to clearcoat it. Depending on the color, I find it's easier to order from pivco through their ebay store. They deliver very quickly. For cups, filters and stirrers, I find TCP global to be better than most sources from the Net, but you're probably better off just going to a local auto body supply. Also, contact Kirker to see if they have a dealer in your area, you may get better prices, and you'll save shipping. Here's a couple of links: (They also have other temp ranges)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PLATINUM ... veQ5fTools

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PLATINUM ... veQ5fTools

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:41 pm
OldDupontGuy wrote:Sure,,,If they sell it.
Like I said,,,make sure you use the hardener in the clear also.

Also, let your final coat of color flash off for about an hour before you spray your clear. The clear can move the metallic (If it is a metallic) if you get on it to soon with your clear.

The color is metallic. I will apply the clear the next day.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:04 pm
Make sure you check your re-coat window before you do that,,,but I "Think" you will be OK, but you must use the hardener. Me,,I wouldn't wait that long. Just an hour is enough.

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:26 am
pay attention to what odg is saying, be sure to use the hardener. and some a/e's require a differant hardener when useing the clear coat. get the teck sheet and read it carfully. also wait an hour or so untill you can touch it and not stick to it. your doing good to clear over the metalic it will look much better. :)
they say my name is Jay
Next

Return to Body and Paint