Body filler over lead

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:13 am
Anyone one have problems with filler over lead. I have had a problem with Dyna Glass over lead. It swells up. Have painted my hood six times. Thought it was the flux leaching through as posted on another topic. Now I believe it is the Dyna Glass not sticking to the lead. I talked with someone from Evercoat. They told me any of their filler that has ZNX7 in it will work over lead.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:48 am
I have ALWAYS got rid of all the lead.
I dont like it,,,nothing but trouble..................
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:53 am
OldDupontGuy wrote:I have ALWAYS got rid of all the lead.
I dont like it,,,nothing but trouble..................

I needed to use lead. Put some of the bubbles from a 67 SSChevelle on my 55 chev. Bubbles "lack of a better desciption" Tack welded and then leaded. ITs to hard to get all the lead of to weld it solid.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:29 am
Out of all the years Ive been working on cars,,,I have never seen anyone use lead that could make it turn out right. Sounds like you have a mess on your hands now.

If it was mine, I would get rid of all the lead and weld it up with a TIG or MIG. Then use a good filler.

Trust me,,,you are gonna have nothing but trouble with the lead,,,but I wish you luck :goodjob:
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:35 am
like odg i've seen nothing but probems with lead. one thing you might do is sand it to the lead and shoot 2-3 coats of epoxy then do your filler work. but don't be surprized if you have problems 6 mo or a year from now :)
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:14 am
badsix wrote:like odg i've seen nothing but probems with lead. one thing you might do is sand it to the lead and shoot 2-3 coats of epoxy then do your filler work. but don't be surprized if you have problems 6 mo or a year from now :)

I'm just going to use Evercoat Fiber Tech over it. I should know in 2 weeks to a month if that works and will post again.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:39 am
The thing with lead is, you either use that, or filler, not both. That comes direct from a restorer of classic cars. He only used lead for customers who insisted on "no bondo".
Like most new technologies, when filler was first introduced to replace lead, there were those who opposed using it. It's still around, because there are purists who insist that their cars be repaired with "metal only".

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:49 am
How are you prepping your lead for filler?
If you are sanding or grinding it, stop. It must be filed by hand or hand sanded. Don't melt the surface of the lead and leave it smooth. It needs to have the file or sanding "key" (scratches) for the fillers to stick.

When you sand or grind lead it tends to gall the metal and lay it over. It is a also a major health hazard to have lead dust float around from grinding or sanding.

I agree, it would best to finish weld the panel and use regular fillers. Like badsix suggested, epoxy primer and filler over the top may work but could show traces later.
Here is a good writeup on lead
http://www.1956f100.com/General/lead_solder_filling.htm

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:14 am
vwbobby wrote:How are you prepping your lead for filler?
If you are sanding or grinding it, stop. It must be filed by hand or hand sanded. Don't melt the surface of the lead and leave it smooth. It needs to have the file or sanding "key" (scratches) for the fillers to stick.

When you sand or grind lead it tends to gall the metal and lay it over. It is a also a major health hazard to have lead dust float around from grinding or sanding.

I agree, it would best to finish weld the panel and use regular fillers. Like badsix suggested, epoxy primer and filler over the top may work but could show traces later.
Here is a good writeup on lead
http://www.1956f100.com/General/lead_solder_filling.htm

I sandblasted it before the dyna Glass. Have cleaned the lead with a commercial flux remover. I think the Dyna Glass over lead is the problem

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:50 pm
Another problem is you're adding yet another material to the mix that has a slightly different expansion/contraction rate. Get rid of the lead. The less product over the metal base ..... always the best repair.
Next

Return to Body and Paint