First try at Body work. Comments? Suggestions?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:55 am
Try setting your welder to 3 on the voltage and 45 on the feed. I have the Millermatic 135 and have used the Hobart 135 and that seems like the best compromise for sheet metal. The 140 is only slightly more powerful, so the setting should be very close.

15 - 20PSI is plenty for MIG, even if it is slightly windy. You only need enough shielding gas to prevent splattering, slag, and general ugliness of the weld. ;)

Make sure the metal is CLEAN. Bright shiny, no paint, etc. It will greatly improve the porosity and quality of the weld.

When you make the tack, you can vary the depth of your weld by how long you hold the trigger. Holding it slightly longer will burn a little deeper into the weld, if that makes sense?
Varying the feed speed also affects the voltage on these welders. They are designed to compensate slightly, so I usually turn down the speed if I need a little more "heat" or turn up the speed if the weld is puddling too much and falling out. Moving closer to the panel or farther away also affects the heat and penetration. I usually keep the nozzle buried pretty deep.
Practice butt welding on some scrap autobody sheet metal and you will really get the hang of it, before you go to your project. With enough practice, you can almost replicate the look of a good TIG weld.

023 for thin sheet metal (20 - 18 gauge), or sometimes I use 030 or 035 if welding 2 pieces together in an overlap weld or anything thicker than 18 gauge.

Vdubber, your project is turning out awesome! :) I like how you are replacing as many sections as needed. It bothers me when people put multiple patches into a panel when its just easier to replace sections like you are doing.
What are your plans for the paint color(s)? What about engine and suspension?

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:54 pm
vwbobby,

Thanks man!!

Engine is a 1776 w/ dual Webbers. I have it all ready to go. Eventually plan on building a turbo motor, but want to get it going first.

Suspension is prob going to remain the same. I built the front beam w/ adjusters and lowered the rear quite a bit. Wish I had the $$ to bag it like yours!! Maybe the next one!

Paint--I haven't 100% committed. The OG color was a Velvet Green below the belt line and a "Blue White" above.

I am either going with the OG colors or there was a Blue bottom, Blue white top that I was going to go with.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:49 pm
chevman wrote:
Vdubber wrote:I definitely plan on using epoxy. I had planned on using 2k high build primer before hearing from Timbo. I will definitely do some research before application.

How about the block sanding long board? How big should use?

Your metal work is looking good.
If you decide to use epoxy for block sanding, be sure to allow it to cure a few days before sanding, and it doesn't look like that will be a problem.

For sanding blocks, I like to use one as long as possible for the panel. I tried making hard blocks out of polycarbinate but I really like the AFS brand. and it also works better than durablock IMO. They have a 15 inch block that would work good for your panels, and they actually have even longer ones. Each one needs to be trimmed so the metal base has none of the foam in the way of allowing it to touch the panel without sand paper on it.

If you want to try it, the manufacturer has a better price, and the kits are even cheaper.
http://adjustablesander.com/order.html

Chevman,

thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:13 pm
Hey guys!! It's been WAY too long. I haven't had time to work on the bus. LIFE...

The bus still sits as it did before. Still no primer. I plan on getting after it now that I have a little spare time.

As always, a couple questions...

Is my epoxy primer still good? Should I still use it or get different, new stuff?
Omni Epoxy M170. It's been sitting in my non-climate controlled garage through a couple summers and winters in the great Pacific Northwest. I only have a quart (I believe) and wouldn't mind getting new stuff if the Omni might have problems, or another product would be more "novice friendly." However, if it hasn't "gone bad," I will just use it.

I wanted to get my engine bay primed and painted so I could install my fuel tank and engine. Since it is just an engine bay, can I get away with epoxy and then paint? Or should I at least 2k high build and sand before paint?

Same questions with interior. Most of interior is covered with interior pieces..Headliner, door panels, etc. Besides the dash and small sections, It won't even show. Should I 2k and sand the interior?

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:53 am
Just read through this whole thread. This is/was/has been a very ambitious project with thousands of hours invested. And you had little to no experience when you started, correct? Just goes to show anyone can do anything if they only put their mind to it.

Your results and quality of work have been phenomenal. This VW will last for generations if cared for properly. Something you can hand down on to your kids, and their kids.

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:00 am
BeoBob,
Thanks man!! I really appreciate it.
Correct, I started off with zero experience.
I'm FINALLY trying to get back on the project. We've had a couple life changes that have postponed the project.
It is fun for me to go back and read the thread and remember where the Bus started.

Thanks again
Duke

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:55 am
Love this thread, love your work!! Glad you can get back at it, and look forward to your posts! :pcorn:
Previous

Return to Body and Paint