First try at Body work. Comments? Suggestions?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:19 pm
More pics of the cargo door. this is the second cargo door that I've done. I feel like my method is better on this door and the fitment is a lot better.

Bottom lower skin tacked in. On all my previous sheet metal repairs I used air from my compressor with a blow gun to cool down each individual weld. this time I just let the metal cool naturally. I did hammer and dolly the welds to stretch the heat effected metal. I am still learning and testing different methods but I am very happy with the results.

After some grinding and minimal hammer and dolly

Almost all done!! I fit it up to the bus to verify fitment and door gaps. Super stoked!! I had an issue with the top of the front cargo door actually hitting the body while the bottom had a normal gap--no matter what I did. I even tried bending the door hinges themselves. I ended up fabricating a "wedge" for the upper door hinge and it set it out perfectly.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:25 am
AMBITIOUS PROJECT!! NICE WORK!!!

:goodjob: :worthy:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:35 am
your coming along nicely, it looks GREAT! you should be proud of yourself. :goodjob:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:48 pm
Vdubber wrote:I definitely plan on using epoxy. I had planned on using 2k high build primer before hearing from Timbo. I will definitely do some research before application.

How about the block sanding long board? How big should use?

Your metal work is looking good.
If you decide to use epoxy for block sanding, be sure to allow it to cure a few days before sanding, and it doesn't look like that will be a problem.

For sanding blocks, I like to use one as long as possible for the panel. I tried making hard blocks out of polycarbinate but I really like the AFS brand. and it also works better than durablock IMO. They have a 15 inch block that would work good for your panels, and they actually have even longer ones. Each one needs to be trimmed so the metal base has none of the foam in the way of allowing it to touch the panel without sand paper on it.

If you want to try it, the manufacturer has a better price, and the kits are even cheaper.
http://adjustablesander.com/order.html

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:00 pm
Wow nice welds! I was practicing with mine today and it will seems like my tacs sit to high, like they don't sit flat enough. I tried it on higher voltage too, maybe I had the wire too high still, idk.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:37 pm
Thanks guys. I really appreciate your feedback.

wahoo wrote:Wow nice welds! I was practicing with mine today and it will seems like my tacs sit to high, like they don't sit flat enough. I tried it on higher voltage too, maybe I had the wire too high still, idk.

wahoo, Pics? What kind of welder do you have? Settings? Gap?

Here is a little more progress. Had to modify the inner support because it was a tad narrow. Not bad and it was easy to remedy. Ended up blasting off the protective coating of the inner support. Also got the inside of the outer skin and the inside of the support prepped and primed.

Hopefully get some time tomorrow to get the inner support welded in.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:17 pm
Got a second to finish up the metal work on the door!!

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:46 pm
Doors fitted up!!

All finished with the dash as well. Getting so close to getting this in primer! Just have the drivers door, engine deck lid and the apron!!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:09 pm
I have a Hobart 140 mig welder it's 120v. I was practicing tacking and I tried voltage at 1, 2, 3, 4 and increases wire speed slightly with the voltage and it doesn't seem super flat. Maybe I need to clean the nozzle? Or maybe I'm getting low on gas, I have it set for 20psi.

I'll clean the tip and check the gas maybe tomorrow and see if I can get the tac to be flater.

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:58 pm
wahoo wrote:I have a Hobart 140 mig welder it's 120v. I was practicing tacking and I tried voltage at 1, 2, 3, 4 and increases wire speed slightly with the voltage and it doesn't seem super flat. Maybe I need to clean the nozzle? Or maybe I'm getting low on gas, I have it set for 20psi.

I'll clean the tip and check the gas maybe tomorrow and see if I can get the tac to be flater.

Again, I would like to state that there is a lot of people on this site that have much more experience than I do.--disclaimer!! Haha

What size wire are you using? I've had good luck with .023" wire. Get a good quality wire too.

Does Hobart have a "recommended setting" or suggested setting for a particular metal thickness and welding wire size? If so, stick pretty close to those numbers.

Do you pull your weld/tack or do you push it? I started pushing my welds/tacks and that helped me out quite a bit and I experienced a lot less blow throughs.

How long do you hold the trigger when you tack?

How far do you hold your gun tip from your work? Farther away--cooler weld. Closer--hotter weld.

Practice, practice, practice!! Experience is your best friend. Post some pics of some practice welds. Guys on this site are happy to help--and more eager when they have pics!!
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint