Block sand after which coat of primer?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:56 pm
You'd have to check the tech sheet sheet for that..

As for the runs, I'd say it doesn't matter one way or another. You'll be sanding them out anyways, so.. If you feel the urge, take care of them now.. Might be better than having a thick blob of uncured primer.. That being said, I have a few runs in my 2k (We ARE talking urethane 2k high build, right? Can't remember the rest of this thread now.. haha), and I'm just sanding them out as I block sand the car.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:14 pm
kawaholic wrote:ok, thanks. i was tempted to keep going but i was worried about making it worse. the sun was going down and the temps were dropping so i decided to just pack it in for the night. being that i stopped, should i go ahead and hit the runs before i put my next coats on? they're not TOO bad and i guess i can try to work around them with the next coat or two to try and even everything out. i've got a feeling i won't even see them after two more coats. i guess i just answered my own question about sanding them before i put any more on... :lol:

what about the re coat window? i know i want to wait 10-15min. between coats but what is the longest i can go between coats without sanding?

you will have to scuff it all with 180-220 and block out the runs too.
on that primer prob 30 minutes tops recoat window with the same product. I wouldn't want to go over 20-30 to be honest.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:32 pm
****... i was afraid you were gonna say that... :lol: oh well... i'm getting plenty of sanding practice... :knockout: now i know why you said you'd continue priming. that's what i'll do next time. thanks again for all the help...

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:35 pm
hang in there bud :pcorn:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:50 am
Good job on stopping and packing up for the night when the temperature drops. :D I tend to paint into the wee hours of the night and it can cause problems with blushing, or in extreme cases water bubbles trapped under the surface. Condensation forms easily on metal when the temp drops more than about 15 degrees F.

When in doubt, muster on and sand out your mistakes. As long as you have material, you have a 2nd or 3rd chance. ;)

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:21 pm
What product is this? 20-30 minutes max recoat time?!

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:43 pm
most 2K urethane primers is the max unless they are lightening fast........
Previous

Return to Body and Paint