PPG CLEAR BLENDER

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:46 am
Long Story Short, I'm not very happy with the current clear blender my rep is providing me with.... i use mainly ppg products, how ever at this point i'm willing to switch it up a little, I normally spray OMNI production clear for most of my repairs, this rattle can blender was supposedly suppose to be sprayed on the edge of my final coat of clear and is suppose to melt the clear in, according to the rep it's a hot solvent. Well it does that randomly... some spots look good and others don't.... I try to cut and buff but normally the spots become more visible than less. I talked to a few local's and got the rec. of going back over the blend edge using straight reducer.... i've yet to do this. Looking for suggestions and recommendations. Thanks-MPS
MissouriPaintSlinger

Do it right the first time.
Enjoy it for twice as long

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:30 am
if your in a shop or do this alot you might check out duponts 222 mid coat adhision promoter. i've used blenders and the results are good and not so good. if you want to buff the panel the blender just doesn't seem to do the job, mainly on darker colors. if your not going to buff its reasonably good other than the dark colors. i usualy have excelent results with the use of the 222 and then sometimes the blender then buff. this is an area where it need to be done right to get a perfect finish :)
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:46 am
Badsix,
How are you applying the 222 to use as a blender?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:19 am
I talked to a few local's and got the rec. of going back over the blend edge using straight reducer.... i've yet to do this. Looking for suggestions and recommendations. Thanks-MPS

Saw that method in a few youtube videos. Reducer is added to the remaining clear in the gun, then misted over the edge.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:29 pm
You guys need to quit all that crazy stuff and use the Sherwin Williams BS-10 Clear coat blender in the rattle can. I have never seen better!
Let your clear flash just a little and spray a couple of light coats on your blend area. I'm tellin'ya,,,this stuff is the best Ive ever used.

DuPont's 222 adhesion promoter is designed to go UNDER the base and clear, not on top of it.

"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:05 pm
Rick,
Is this a product most jobbers carry or can I order it online?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:34 pm
Im not sure about on line,,,I guess.
The S/W jobber should have it.

If you cant get it, let me know and Ill get it from my jobber and mail it to ya...................
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:04 pm
sorry, yes the 222 does go on first
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:10 pm
I have a bottle of blender for color 1:1 color reduc and 1:1 blender reducer then 1:1 reduced color and reduced blender. But I don't have a issue with color matching I'm either good or lucky in that department I bought it and have never used it. My problem is the clear coat blend transitioning the new into the old. That sherwin williams can looks just like the stuff I've got its just a different brand... my rep says spray it untill invisible and its good...but I get blotchy to dry out comes..... next blend job ill hit it real heavy and wet and see how it comes out.

We have a sherw will. Store locally but they offer no support to speak of, so I avoided them. I've pretty much just been inner panel blending then clearing the whole panel to get by on...but I will eventually get this clean blend down.
MissouriPaintSlinger

Do it right the first time.
Enjoy it for twice as long
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:30 pm
there are 2 kinds of clear blender ppg has that work very well. one is dx840 that you mix with some clear to do your blends, and then their specialty sx1040 (i think that is the number) that comes in a spray can.
i use the dx840 for large color blends and the rattle can for small blends. both work well.
also, you will get better blending results by makeing sure you clean the blend area very well. i like to clean mine by starting with detailer clay, then a good wash, followed up by compounding.
Next

Return to Body and Paint