correct way to spray 2 tone

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:57 pm
If you have a body line or trim line to follow, that will help with making a straight line. Otherwise you're going to need to freehand it. :)

The tip about using fine line tape is a good one. It seems to break a clean line and less likely to peel/lift the paint. Otherwise use the 3M Green Automotive tape. The regular blue tape breaks, bleeds, and doesn't stick well.
I pull the tape as soon as the paint flashes dull. I've had problems waiting too long and breaking the film, peeling the paint away from the body. This usually happens if I wait overnight or more than a few hours before pulling tape. Pulling the tape back on itself and down at an angle helps break the tape free from the paint and prevents possible peeling.;)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:51 pm
:goodpost: pulling the tape just after the paint flashes is good. just be carefull if when your pulling the tape that sometimes paint will flake off the tape and land on your new color coat. don't try and wipe it off even with a tack rag, use an air hose and lightly blow it off. if you touch it and its paint to paint it more that likely will stick and won't come off. :)
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:40 am
Wow, great tip on the air hose. I've been using a tooth pick or tweezers to pick out crap that lands on my fresh paint. :( Duh, why didn't I think of that? :roll: :P

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:41 pm
ok thanks guys, I sprayed the first color this afternoon im gonna work on getting the tape on tonight. hopefully I can get it pretty straight

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:24 pm
I just finished up the bed and the lines look pretty good, The tape came off smooth.

Thanks for the advice guys

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:01 pm
when spraying the cab were excatly should i split up the colors?

Does anyone have any pictures or anything?

It would be very helpful.

I know i dont waant to do the hole bottom of the cab. im just really not sure

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:46 pm
I didn't catch what type of truck you are working on? Usually you want to split the colors at a body line. This will keep the colors consistent with the shape of the body/accent the shape.

Here are a couple examples:

You can also do searches on Google Images for "2 tone truck" to get some ideas :)
http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&h ... tone+truck

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:39 pm
vwbobby wrote:I didn't catch what type of truck you are working on? Usually you want to split the colors at a body line. This will keep the colors consistent with the shape of the body/accent the shape.

Here are a couple examples:

You can also do searches on Google Images for "2 tone truck" to get some ideas :)
http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&h ... tone+truck

Its a ford superduty. The factory 2 tone isnt split up by a body line. But my question was what should I do on the cab like how far to bring the color into the door jam.

I ended up just going and looking at a truck to see how it was done at the factory. And I wasnt impressed at all. They have pin stripe on it thats about 1/2in wide and on differnt parts of the truck the actual paint lines you can see some are on the bottom of the tape and in other spots its at the top, and like on the cab in the door jam was really crooked.

It was a king ranch truck. If i spent 60 grand on a truck I would not be to happy

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:30 am
I wasn't very impressed with the seats in the King Ranch trucks either. They have the fancy brown leather, but it fades and stains easy. I have a guy who needs me to do a full detail on his King Ranch truck, paint has lots of trouble, interior is horrible. He could've just abused the truck though.... :| I need to check out the pinstripe up close, I haven't had a good look at it yet. Sad to hear Ford cut corners on a $60K truck :(

I would bring the color all the way around the door, through the jamb and onto the body. Its a lot of taping, but it leaves no stone unturned. ;) You will have to do a lot of eyeballing to make sure your tape is straight in the jambs, I've never measured or had a guide when I did it other than body lines. Since you don't have a body line, I would start by placing tape in a couple areas on a door and decide where you want to split up the 2 colors first, then that will dictate where your line will follow in the door jambs.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint