OK let's hear your best tips and your favorite tricks

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:44 pm
Here is 2 bodyman tools for everyone to use . 1 you can use your bumperkicking bar with your friction jack as a rear gate prop just slide your kicking bar over the friction jack a wala a prop as tall as you need it to be, 2 here is the best darn plastic clip popper I ever made, go to your local hardware store and find a mini vonbar then take your stone cutoff wheel in your angle grinder and regrove the ends just wide enough for a christmas tree pin to fit you may also want to sand the ends to a finer edge .

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:45 pm
rayzer,

you used the term "vonbar". Is that a wonder bar? Is that what you call it in your neck of the woods?
thanks, Tony

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:01 am
Stick a needle in your fisheye bubble to let some air out and make it smaller.

If youre spraying something outside around dusk, light some mosquitoe candles to keep bugs out of the clear (works surprisingly well).

Plastic sheeting taped around a canopee makes a quick makeshift spray booth.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:49 pm
Everyone may know this, but an old body man way back when told me when you are feeling a panel to see if you smoothed it out always use a clean shop towel between the body and your hand. It slides eazily and you can feel every little bump or dip. Heck, I thought everybody knew this trick,but I keep seeing those "experts" on TV using they're bare hands so maybe not !
:goodjob:

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:20 pm
1. Wash car with SEM soap.
2. Wipe car with SEM wax and greas remover.

I'll post up more tips tomorrow.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:40 pm
Always be aware of your surroundings and where your air hose is you don't want to move down a panel and kink the hose while your painting . it turns into the little clear gun that could lol :knockout:

Also if your working on a body line try and use different color hardeners red for the top blue for the bottom it will make the line stand out more .

And make sure you don't leave the bottom of garage door open in middle of the night , I had a cat walk threw a fresh painted hood while I was sleeping lol and when friends are over make sure they know not to touch some people have no clue they can't touch the shiny piece of the car all masked off ..

Also I took wheels off a skate board and mounted them to a T8 light casing with extension cord you can roll it under what your painting to get a better visual .
Attachments
image.jpg

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:43 pm
GonzoTx wrote:Everyone may know this, but an old body man way back when told me when you are feeling a panel to see if you smoothed it out always use a clean shop towel between the body and your hand. It slides eazily and you can feel every little bump or dip. Heck, I thought everybody knew this trick,but I keep seeing those "experts" on TV using they're bare hands so maybe not !
:goodjob:

I sometime use a variant of this tip. I use those thin, knit inspection gloves. It seems to help isolate rough areas such as sanding scratches and allows your hands to concentrate on just the waves.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:05 am
Use saran wrap over paint stripper to keep it from evaporating as fast. Instead of sanding one panel at a time, sand across gaps for a consistent surface.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:01 am
I've even used the ol' "multi-use" Wal-Mart bag for this.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:25 pm
jeremyb wrote:Tip on getting a chunk of trash that falls into clear as you are spraying. tear off a small strip of 1-1/2" or 3/4" tape, make a u shape out of it where the sticky side would be facing the panel and gently dab onto the trash untill the adhesive of the tape picks up the trash. Easier than a trash pic or tooth pic...quicker also. I always have a roll of tape on the table in the booth. Even when wearing a suit and headsock, still always the possibility of an eyelash or piece of hair to fall right in the middle of the roof or hood!

hahaha, I had an eyelash fall into my first coat of clear on a tri-coat pearl white a month ago.... its always the ones you prep the most for and something will find a way to mess it up..

Little tip, use draw string trash bags for disposable wheel covers.
You can use little plastic squeeze bottles from hobby lobby to suck up paint when shooting test panels (on full cans)
If the air is blurry then change your booth filters or supply adequate ventilation, your lungs are expensive
If u see an imperfection that you think the paint will hide, think again
and old test panels are great fly swatters!! or wasps in my case
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint