Spot Repair or Redo the Hood?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:27 pm
Just when it looked like my hood was free of flaws, I sprayed a coat of SS and found a shallow dent about 3" in diameter, and two small depressions about 1/2" in diameter. Should I fix just the spots, or sand the whole hood and go with 3 more coats of Slicksand?
I decided to go with Kirker's inferno red metallic. I used the Plus gun @ 40 psi., and I must say, this covers really well. It almost doesn't need a second coat, and it sprayed on with no striping whatsoever. I used it unreduced, just color and medium activator, 3:1. I sprayed it fairly dry, as I plan on clearing over it.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:41 pm
spot repair and spot prime it. wait at least a day or two. I would drop that plus gun down to 35 max.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:03 pm
Thanks. I hoped spot repair would be good. I'll try the gun @35psi, although it sprayed smooth @40.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:50 pm
Since I have to sand the the whole hood before clearing, (Will miss the recoat window due to repairs being needed) I sprayed a second coat @ 35 psi. This time, there was heavy OP. So the next step will be to spray some left over @40 psi., and reduce the rest and spray @ 35 psi. to see if there's a difference. First coat was like a mirror. Wish I took a pic before spraying the second coat.
I moved the hood outside to get pics in the sun, but of course, as soon as I did, it started getting cloudy. I'll try when it's dark with the flash to see if the metallics pop. The color isn't quite as dark as it appears in the pics. Temp is 65°.
In case anyone's interested, I mixed 16 oz., and the hood was covered with 2 coats, with about 4 oz. left over. hood is approx. 63" x 65".

Red Hood 004 small.jpg
Red Hood 004 small.jpg (66.36 KiB) Viewed 1765 times

Red Hood 001small.jpg
Red Hood 001small.jpg (70.44 KiB) Viewed 1765 times

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:15 pm
hey ed. so are we going two tone now? or is this another project????
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:04 pm
Just like this red better than candy apple, and I'd have to either buy more gold, or use the Omni, which I hate. I may go with a white roof and white interior, or just all red with a white interior. I bought this paint for some bicycle frames, but for $70, maybe I'll just go ahead and order another gallon. I'll wait for the next gallon before continuing so I could mix them together. This stuff goes a long way, I could probably get away with just one gallon. About 12 oz. RTS put two coats on the hood, It took almost 50 oz. RTS Omni for the fenders.
I forgot to test the spray after I turned the pressure down. Something tells me the fluid should have been cut down as well.

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:10 pm
ok. this is for the bird right? or the trikes?
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:20 pm
Probably both trikes and the Tbird. One trike is just in primer, the other is a similar red. But it's rattlecan lacquer, and chips easily. I have two greens as well, one medium, one very light. I tried the medium one on a scrap door a while back, but this red looks better. I'll try the other on the door and compare to the red.
Geez, red and green. Maybe paint the sides green, the top red, and put Santa and sled decals on the doors, and reindeer on the fenders.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:41 pm
With a 1.3 or 1.4 tip at 35 you get more paint on the panel with a slick finish. It will boil down to distance, overlap, and speed. If 40 works fine but it will put more in the air though. Never had to run my Plus that high ever.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:34 pm
I used a 1.4 tip. But as I said, when I reduced the pressure, I forgot to readjust the rest of the settings. I'm thinking that may have been the problem. In hindsight, I should have done a test run first, then made any necessary adjustments to the fluid and fan pattern.
When I sprayed unreduced Kirker EC300 clear with this gun on test panels, it went on like glass. I also sprayed some SS enamel with it and it had just a tad of OP. Both times it was set at 35. And both times I made all the adjustments on the gun at the same time.
Being this red is also SS, I went to 40 because I read that SS sprays smoother at higher pressures, and the specs I have for the gun say 30-40 psi. I'll do some test runs @35 before I repair and respray the hood.
I was really impressed at how evenly the metallics laid, considering this is SS. It was much easier to get the metallics even than any of the SS enamels I used.
Next

Return to Body and Paint