Spot Repair or Redo the Hood?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:14 pm
Glad to hear you like the Kirker paint. I haven't had a chance to try their paint yet, just primers. Where did you end up buying it for $70/gal?

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:59 pm
I checked the pivco site. Thanks. Saved me some money.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:47 am
Pivco has inferno red cheaper than autobodytoolmart or smartshoppers. The other two have better selections, and prices aren't always lower at pivco, but it's worth checking them out when you have to order online.
Thought you might like that price better Timbo, and thanks for your help.
Got some rain here for today, so I won't be able to adjust the gun correctly @ 35 until Monday. I'm hoping it sprays urethane SS better than enamel. If worse comes to worse, Kirker says it can be sprayed very dry like a basecoat. JC Clark did his car that way. Might be a better option since I'm clearing it anyway, but it takes more coats.

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:03 am
Hey ed, thanks for the heads up on the pivco site. It's now on my favs. Gonna try out the kirker paint on two of three cars in the shop. Good prices for an entire kit, since the paint jobs are cheaper, not in quality, but in there budget range. I used to have a color chart. But ditched it. Gotta get another one.
Last edited by deitymotorsports on Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:44 am
Ronnie, FWIW, I know I'm repeating myself, but my neighbor had a car painted with Kirker, and was never garaged. The paint looked like new when he sold the car after six years. JC Clark uses Kirker. His Civic still looks great after 5 or 6 years, and he says it's the toughest urethane he's ever used. He uses it on boats. JC does however, say that he uses ********** clear.
Countilaw, who hasn't posted in a long time, uses it for the budget jobs in his shop, and he said he hasn't had any complaints.
Pivco is in Evansville Ill., so shipping will probably be cheap. You might also want to call Kirker to see if there's a retailer in your area. They'll also eagerly answer any questions you have.

Fully Engaged
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:58 am
edpol wrote:
Red Hood 004 small.jpg

Red Hood 001small.jpg

how come you got crazy orange peel? or is this getting flatted down? just curious

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:08 am
I think it's because I only reduced the air pressure to 35 psi, forgetting to tweak the other adjustments. 1st coat went on like glass @ 40 psi, but Timbo suggested going down to 35. I'd rather spray at the lower pressure, there's a little less overspray.
When I'm ready to spray more color, I'll make all the adjustments at one time and record them.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:20 am
usualy lower air pres. will cause o/p, but there are many things that can cause o/p :)
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:10 am
Clear laid down great with the Plus @ 35psi, but I couldn't get SS enamel without a tad of OP, even at 40 psi. I thought SS urethane might spray smoother at 40 psi, so that's how I set the gun up. Maybe reducing a little will get it to lay down smooth @ 35. Reduction isn't necessary with this paint, "unless you need it". So maybe it needs it @ 35 psi with this gun, I'll find out soon enough.
For some reason, it also went on heavier @ 35 psi. I'm wondering if I inadvertenly opened the fluid knob.
I kept the gun about 6" from the surface, and perpendiular to the work, so there wasn't any striping or mottling, just OP after the pressure was reduced.
At 40 psi, fan was 1/2 turn from full open. I opened the fluid knob all the way, then back in 1/2 turn until the trigger started to move. Two turns in from there, there were no runs on the test paper, and I went in another 1/2 turn to get a slightly drier spray. To double check, I opened the fluid knob all the way, then went in 3 turns. That gave me the same pattern.
Some guys say to start with the fluid tip 1/2 turn out from closed, some say to adjust it from full open. I was taught years ago to start with it open, so I stuck with that method.

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:59 am
i need that color chart, so i emailed them last night with the shop and address, should get a package sent after x-mas. They sent me one before, and had no idea they were here in my state! Doh!. Not close, but yes shipping was cheap at around 16.00 for an entire "paint kit" thanks again. I edited my last post cause i meant "is NOW on my favs".
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint