Spot Repair or Redo the Hood?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:22 pm
I was under the impression that I could put the color right over the Slicksand. According to the tech sheet, Shopline could go right over Shopline polyester primer. Slicksand tech sheet says it will accept all automotive topcoats.
My 2k primer is Kirker Rapid Prime, which can be used as a sealer if mixed 4:1:1, or i could use their epoxy as a sealer, but if I don't need it, I'd rather not add another step I might screw up. That's why I decided to go ahead and paint the hood. That, and the area can be kept warm enough for a few days.
I just finished sanding with 400, also as per the Shopline tech sheet, (400 dry, or 500 wet) and the Slicksand tech sheet (400-600) Slicksand doesn't mention wet sanding, so I just used 400 dry.
Crown would definitely be imbibed at night, if I were to start drinking again. I had to stop a few years ago, because even a couple of drinks would make me lethargic for 2 days.
:cry:
As for spillage, with my luck, it would be the Crown.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:29 pm
any pics of it? ed? And if you did not see any distortion in the panel once wetted down. it should be flat.
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:22 pm
Nope, didn't see any distortions. On the other hand, I didn't see the few little dings before I sprayed the red paint either. Other than those, the first coat of red looked beautiful.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint