White Spots in Clear Coat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:24 am
a lot of clears no longer need or even recommend a tack coat. depending on his temps in the garage, i'm sure he did not let it flash long enough, plus on top of that,lot of clear. if the first coat is not flashed off properly multiply that by 4 and you have problems. Take it back to him.
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:01 am
Avanti wrote:OK thanks for the feedback. I have more questions.

After reading the tech sheet myself, this clear, Spies 8180 HS which I assume means high solids, should not be reduced. Their other clear Spies VHS clear is reduced 10%. Could reducing clear that should not be be reduced cause the solvent pop or white flecks? Sounds like it would.

I hear everyone loud and clear about a 15 minute flash being too fast, however, the tech sheet reads:

"1 medium coat followed by 1 full coat without intermediate flash-off." Then it goes on and says, " 2 coats with approx. 5 to 10 minutes intermediate flash-off."

Can someone explain what this means, i.e. intermediate flash-off?

Thanks again for all the great advice!

this is what the op posted on the procedure of useing the clear. the first coat is a tact coat. however after thinking about it. the op's guy may have put the first coat on too wet, along with a 2nd wet coat with no flash, waited 15 mins. then put on the last. if this is the case, too much was put on before the 3rd, and the 3rd dried faster than the first 2. when that happens solvent pop happens. i don't know if a longer flash time would have helped it. that would be a judgement call for the painter in the booth, i'm sure he did the usuall wait and touch the paper timer, and felt like it was good to go. however it happens. to the op let your guy do his thing. he'll get it figured out, u could ask, if by any chance that he didn't reduce the 1st & 2 coats, and decided to reduce the 3rd for a flow coat look? if this is the case, the last coat would of dried faster than the first two, causeing solvent pop, and flash time can be ruled out.
Captian OBVIOUS.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint