need advice on canadian low voc or solvent wats better?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:20 pm
waterborne needs airflow to help the water evaporate from the paint. Without the appropriate equipment it will be a slow agonizing process to do a complete in a homemade booth with waterborne. In my downdraft spray booth that moves a ton of air it takes water 10-15 minutes to flash on it's own without the use of blowers

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:12 pm
i have 2 large fans ,even if it costs me $200 for more fans filters etc. im still way cheaper than hiring someone and i own the fans.ive built 500 houses im sure i can make a makeshift spraybooth.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:28 pm
burnoutz wrote:i have 2 large fans ,even if it costs me $200 for more fans filters etc. im still way cheaper than hiring someone and i own the fans.ive built 500 houses im sure i can make a makeshift spraybooth.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My $70k spray booth with a 10hp intake and 10hp exhaust that moves 15000 cfm wont flash waterborne in an efficent fashion without additional blowers such as the ones shown here http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/devilbi ... 17200.aspx
You may be able to build a sweet booth with your home building knowledge but it's gonna take more than $200 worth of fans to dry your paint. When I restored my house I went to professional builders for advise and heeded what they had to say. Might I suggest you do the same :D

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:30 pm
If you have access to a booth USE IT :knockout: Look man you do not understand that a good spraybooth will change the air 15-20 times a minute and flow in excess of 11,000-13,0000 cfm a minute while maintaining a perfect temp of 75F,you can't make a homemade setup like that...trust me.We are trying to help you prevent a disaster,this is whats going to happen to your show car if you proceed with no airflow or heat.You will get runs and trash in the autowave due to taking forever to flash,and it will delam on you due to the fact it will not be dry enough to clear.One other thing,usually the guy behind the counter is a salesman he will tell you whatever he can to sell product,he is not a painter.Painting the underside of one panel is apples and oranges in comparison to painting a complete car.Autowave has different application techniques vs solvent,make it easy on yourself and get some matrix low voc solvent base and matrix autoglas 40LV clear,it doesn't get any easier than that,good luck with your project :goodjob:

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:03 am
i never knew it needed that much airflow,yes i agree i cant get that much in a home booth .ill look into matrix
Previous

Return to Body and Paint