Candy Apple Red over black?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:01 am
907AK you used the true UK type Candy from the sounds of it. I am planning on using the shimmirin 2 KBC base coat Candy apple as its suppose to mimic a Candy apple red and be much more user friendly and easier to repair for a daily driver. It does say it requires a black base so I did some spray outs.

3 Coats over a Silver metallic on the left, and on the right 3 coats over a black.

I think the top black metallic I am gonna have to change to a straight JET Black to get the proper contrast. I have attached a picture of a fender I had seen which show how much nicer that color looks next to jet black
Attachments
IMG_5566.jpg
IMG_20160612_173747.jpg
IMG_20160613_093711.jpg

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:39 am
Nice comparison. You are experiencing exactly what I have with the KBC series. Final color is affected by the color underneath.

I am going to try and use the translucent properties of the KBC to create some depth by airbrushing highlights and shadows in silver and black, then spraying 2 coats of the Candy Apple KBC over it. We will see how it goes.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:51 am
some kandy
Attachments
IMG_2566.JPG
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:16 pm
BeoBob wrote:Nice comparison. You are experiencing exactly what I have with the KBC series. Final color is affected by the color underneath.

I am going to try and use the translucent properties of the KBC to create some depth by airbrushing highlights and shadows in silver and black, then spraying 2 coats of the Candy Apple KBC over it. We will see how it goes.

Your result may not produce the effect desired depending on your artwork. Airbrushed lights and darks work best when under a true candy, which KBC is not.
The skull and design is white and black over Harley Candy Red Sunglo(PPG tricoat), followed by red candy over just the artwork. The flame shadows are airbrushed over Harley Ember Red Sunglo (PPG tricoat). Airbrushing black over the midcoat subdues the pearl. Keep experimenting and you'll see what works best for your designs. No matter what HOK says about KBC mimicking a candy, a true candy has more depth.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:41 am
Agreed. KBC is not candy. It will hide what's under it in 3-4 coats. I'm only adding highlights and shadows to flames. It should come out good if I take it easy and use 2 good even coats. I've done a couple of sample panels and been happy with the results.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:26 am
as far as a Black with the most depth possible is there any color code that people seem to have great success with? I keep referencing back to the motorcycle fender I posted earlier. The black metallic I used as a sample just didn't have the depth and contrast next to KBC Candy apple. Should I stay away from black metallics then?

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:13 am
That's going to be a person preference. I like your sample with the metallic black. But if you are looking for a real black black I've heard ********** has a good one.

The one I have been using is HOK Jet Black. Got it on eBay cheap. Much blacker than what I was getting though my local jobber. Doesn't have that brown or blue tinge cheaper blacks tend to have, making it good for airbrush work.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:34 am
Ya I think that Metallic black I chose would be nice on it's own, but it just doesn't give the depth or contrast I am looking for next to to the Candy apple red.

I know about Jet Black from HOK, thats what is recommended under the Shimmirn2 KBC11. I was looking for something a little easier to access for me though, as I am in Canada and HOK isn't cheap. Seems like everything in my area uses Valspar (which no owns House of Kolor).

Is the Jet black just Black toner with nothing else added do you figure?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:02 am
PPG DMD1683 toner is a good black to use.

out of the 4 paint banks i have in the shop it is the blackest.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:14 am
So the PPG DMD1683 toner is blacker than the Valspar K73 toner?

I guess without the metallic and all others, the Black toner would give you the most depth?
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint