Candy Apple Red over black?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:11 am
Looking on the HOK site, the black sealer and black base look to be the same color... but the base is glossy and sealer is not. I'll call HOK on Monday and if they can't tell me, I guess I'll have to order both and do the test panel thing. Thanks... :goodjob:

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:40 pm
black sealer normally more of a gray tone where as black base will have the effect your looking for.
Captian OBVIOUS.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:40 pm
I know this is an old post but I am wondering what you found out about the KBC11 over a black primer vs a black base coat.
I have been asking the same thing for a bit now.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:17 pm
Kandy does not show over black. It may or may not give a slight hint of color.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:39 pm
You can do it . . . BUT as has been stated it will be very dark. I wanted to get a real black cherry (not that purple stuff) so I shot my Mustang black (primer sealer) the only difference I found with the base coat is it was shiny and the sealer was more flat. I didn't want to add additional coats with black base. Over the black I shot red mini-flake then went with the cherry candy then clear. Came out FANTASTIC!!! I did a shoot out with out the flake and it was REAL dark, to the point of needing bright sun light to see the cherry. On an overcast day it looked pretty black. All shot with HOK products. I wish I could remember how to post a photo for you . . . Good luck! Mel
Attachments
IMGP6451.JPG

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:53 am
The car looks good..

I am just going by what the house of Kolor Tech guy had said when using the KBC11 which is the candy apple red. It may not be a "true" kandy but from the pictures I have seen it used it looks exactly like it. The KBC11 is made by mixing s200 the clear carrier base with the kandy koncentrate. I was told last year I could mix the kandy koncentrate with the clear and put it over a silver base however you would now have 5-6 coats of clear with Kandy and then 3 coats of straight clear.,. and 8-9 coats of clear is way over the recommended thickness for clear. Apparently just mixing the Kandy Koncentrate in with just the clear and not clearing after won't work either cause the Kandy does not stand up well without the UV protection.

I did already buy some silver metallic though so I will try the KBC11 over both it and a black just to see the difference.

I was wondering how the KBC11 will turn out over a black metallic instead of just a standard black base.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:38 am
FYI I got a small (4oz) bottle of the black with flake (can't remember the name) and shot a 4x4" test panel and looked at it. It was still too dark for my liking. For test 4x4's I used plastic to shoot different amounts of each color and flake to mix and match to see what I liked. I uses KK mixed in clear for the test stuff. It looks the same as the mixed kandy. HOK states you can use KK in clear in the jams and under the trunk but no on the exterior as it is not UV resistant even covered with clear. The KBC is good stuff but it is not the same (depth DOI) as the true kandy. Also the kandy finish is VERY think. 2 -3 coats of black sealer, 3 -4 coats of flake (in intercoat clear) three coats of clear (sanded to reduce the rough flake coat) then 3 -4 coats of kandy followed by 3 HEAVY coats of clear so you have lots to cut and buff to get it nice and smooth shinny as a new penny. I'll try to post another picture showing the true color it's tuff never looks correct in photos. click on the picture to enlarge. Mel
Attachments
IMGP6459.JPG
IMGP6473.JPG
IMGP6476.JPG

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:49 am
That does look pretty awesome. Not quite what I am going for but it's nice to hear and see what people have done. What HOK did you use? Or did you use the KBC11 Kandy apple?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:06 am
How about the difference between the candy over gold vs silver. Im considering a candy apple red paint job for my project, but want to make sure I have the right shade. Is the end result brighter and more 'red' over the gold vs the silver? :knockout:

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:24 pm
100_1383.JPG
[attachment b4runner: this is ks 11 black primer / sealer UK03 cherry kandy, UC35 clear over F-65 Mini-fireball flake.

Watchdog: I tried to take a picture of some of my "shoot-out's". It's hard to read the tags but it's all brandy wine over silver, gold and galaxy grey. I would suggest you get a couple of 4OZ bottles of what you want to use and make your own to see in REAL LIFE what you will get. Computer image is not a good way to pick any color much less candy Top left is gold, bottom left is silver and lower right lower is galaxy grey. Mel

b4runner: this is ks-11 black sealer / primer with F-65 mini-fireball flake. under UK03 Kandy and UC35 clear Mel
Attachments
100_1384.JPG
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint