Etch Primer Question

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:22 pm
Seems where I live for OTC sales it's all about etch primers. Forget about epoxy 'cause "no one uses it"**. :wink: Okay, that being said, even if it raises eyebrows, the discussion is etch primers. Etch primer, etch primer, etch primer!

**EDIT. I was told--and DO NOT agree with--the statement that, "no one uses epoxy" in my area. I REQUESTED epoxy and the counter person sold me the wrong product, Finish1 fp415 DTM telling me it was epoxy! Can and tech data sheet did not state epoxy, urethane, etc. In the meantime, truth be told, '415 is a urethane. Having some bare metal the search was on for a decent etch primer. Job Deadline looms. END EDIT

One line (#1) says it can be used over CURED BODY FILLER, steel, galv, alum...you get it.
The other line (#2) says it can be used only on steel, galv, and aluminum.

Line #2 has high concentration of phosphoric acid; #2's tech support says, "it's a true etch BUT don't get it anywhere near filler and, that aside, it is better than line #1." #2's tech also felt that #1's product is a compromise just to get something on the sheetmetal. I've left off brand names but will include them, if appropriate. I did not ask brand #1 tech support what they thought of brand #2's remarks.

Any opinions? I'm in a corner as filler has been applied and leveled where needed (separate story). Don't have time for epoxy and the discussion is, etch primer, if anyone forgot! :bored:
Last edited by Restoration Ahead on Tue May 15, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:12 pm
RA, I think you've answered your own question. If #2 can't be used over filler, and you've
already filled, then #2's eliminated. That leaves #1 as your only choice.

If you give the brand names, I'm sure someone can give first-hand advice on
one versus the other....
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:12 pm
First dont listen to what one manufacturer says about the others product. of course they are gonna tell you theirs is better. But realistically, you dont want to put etch over filler and paint. a little overspray on the edges is tolerable but coating it with it is not

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:06 pm
NightTrain wrote:If you give the brand names, I'm sure someone can give first-hand experience, on
one versus the other....

#1 Finish1 fp301 etch primer #2 Pro-Spray self etching primer,,,The first-hand experience, especially with finish1 fp301, would be handy. In any case, definitely would do things differently the next time.
NightTrain wrote:RA, I think you've answered your own question. If #2 can't be used over filler, and you've
already filled, then #2's eliminated. That leaves #1 as your only choice

Agree.
ding wrote:First dont listen to what one manufacturer says about the others product. of course they are gonna tell you theirs is better.
The phosphoric acid in the activator flagged me, it didn't start as a quality question but a filler compatibility question.
ding wrote:a little overspray on the edges is tolerable but coating it with it is not
brand #1's tech sheet includes "cured filler" in its substrates and their tech support agrees. You raise a good point though, my exposed metal is small sand-throughs and I have finish1 fp415 DTM for that. Does etch fp301 integrate into the filler beneath it or does it dry as a coating? Ding, sounds like you're saying etch 301 is intended for bare metal with...maybe some small fills throughout? Know that sounds obvious but, what about the other way--sand throughs and edges in filler? Or is this splitting hairs? :worthy:

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:44 am
Read elsewhere on the forum someone else was confused by Sherwin Williams' ACME labeling of the FP415 DTM (direct to metal). Nowhere on the can does it state what it IS! I feel my paint and glass counterperson didn't know what it is and simply said what it took to make the sale. The tech sheet only says 415 is a "...low VOC primer surfacer...".

Some checking says this is a product that flies through the EPA hoops in California, holding its low VOC title. IMO, to put "low VOC" and "urethane" on the same label might raise speculations so "urethane" was left off. For me, what I got-urethane, was not what I wanted-epoxy. Not that it is SW's fault but I'm onto another brand in the future for the grief it's caused now. :happy:

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:24 am
Check the first few steps ODG shows, you'll see he uses etch over filler. You might want to PM him and ask which brands he uses.

viewtopic.php?t=16404

Return to Body and Paint