Some Quick "Post Poor Paint Job" Input Needed

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:24 pm
I paid this local paint shop $700 to prime and paint my truck 8 months. Long story short the work was worse than any Macco joke I've ever heard. It took this long for me to corner the owner and get him to fix his work. Well just like the first time he painted it. He kept it for almost 2 weeks, dodged my calls and was pretty much as unprofessional as can be. I really don't want to have to corner him again just to get these 3 spots covered/sealed or whatever you guys recommend. So I've got 3 pics below for you to feast your eyes on. All 3 spots are on my roof. 2 unpainted spots leaving my metal exposed to coastal salt air. I also found one spot where you can see his clear coat/sealant peeling up. I guess I'm just hoping I can buy a type of touch up or clear sealant to put over his spots to protect the paint from peeling worse or rust. Again its on the roof and my basket rack is going back up so it does not need to look good just be functional. Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning from you guys. I certainly learned a $700 lesson already.

Jason

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:58 pm
In all honesty what did you expect for $700 ????For quality paint materials(just paint) can run you $1500,that doesn't include bodywork or labor.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:17 am
Wow, your awesome buddy.

In all honesty I don't paint for a living so I have no clue what supplies cost. If I did have even a general knowledge of the auto paint industry I highly doubt I'd have
a. let this hack do the work
b. not just gone with a Macco 199.99 special for the same quality
c. posted in this forum looking for help in the first place.

But hey way to not only bring absolutely no real input to the thread. But also manage to turn off a first time poster. I wonder if you spent your day making fun of mentally handicapped kids before you signed on.

Anyone with any help for someone who obviously has no clue about auto paint feel free to weigh in.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:35 am
well, you get what you pay for. a quality shop would have had between 60-80 hours is preping the vehicle and paint time. Your problem is you have no addhesion to the previous paint. So more then likely its all gota come off. Put some masking tape on the edges and pull the tape and see how bad it is.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:16 am
buckeyeresto wrote:well, you get what you pay for. a quality shop would have had between 60-80 hours is preping the vehicle and paint time. Your problem is you have no addhesion to the previous paint. So more then likely its all gota come off. Put some masking tape on the edges and pull the tape and see how bad it is.

Yikes,stop... your scaring me!
:rotfl: :rotfl:

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:36 am
jacumja wrote:Wow, your awesome buddy.

In all honesty I don't paint for a living so I have no clue what supplies cost. If I did have even a general knowledge of the auto paint industry I highly doubt I'd have
a. let this hack do the work
b. not just gone with a Macco 199.99 special for the same quality
c. posted in this forum looking for help in the first place.

But hey way to not only bring absolutely no real input to the thread. But also manage to turn off a first time poster. I wonder if you spent your day making fun of mentally handicapped kids before you signed on.

Anyone with any help for someone who obviously has no clue about auto paint feel free to weigh in.

No wonder the shop ignored you :clap: Look Pal you paid $700 for a quick splash job and didn't know it which is unfortunate.For a basic paint job with quality materials and no bodywork depending on the area it will cost you $2500 and up.
The shop did not sand it and painted right over shiny paint,You will have to strip it off and start over.I would take it to a high powered pressure wash and try to blow it off or strip it with a razor blade.Good luck .....

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:39 pm
Best I can tell you,if you have receipts and the like,take it to small claims court.

You paid the guy to do work that he never actually did.

While $700 might not be a lot(for one of my cars I got quoted nearly $3000),it would definitely cover the cost of some cheap paint,and to scuff and shoot. If Maaco can do that with some single stage for $200-500,$700 is more than enough for a simple respray.
My programs never have bugs,they just develop new features!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:25 pm
@buckeyeresto
I think I'll pass on peeling it and making it worse than it is. I don't have another 700 to 2500 to get ripped off by any auto paint shop. Its a 98 4runner that might be worth 3k total. Thank you for letting me know though that anything less than 2500 dollars will always be a sub par paint job.

@Jayson m
"no wonder the shop ignored me"? Since you know all about me and the details of the job please enlighten me to why the shop ignored me in all your infinite wisdom. I hate to tell you this but the vast majority of the public has no idea what goes into painting a vehicle. Unfortunately Macco has not done the business any favors with $199.99 specials. Which I'm guessing are just "splash" jobs also. I've got an idea, how about make a sticky thread explaining what all goes into a proper paint job hours, supplies etc. Or you could just walk around this forum with your chest out attempting to belittle people that come here for knowledge. But your probably too busy jacking off to the latest House of Colors issue in your "work shop".

@petriach
I think I'm just gonna take it as lesson learned. I'm going to hit the paint shop on monday and see if they'd be willing to offer any advise on what I can cover those spots with.

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:09 pm
All we are trying to do is help you.....don't accuse me of what you are guilty of,if you like to jerk off and insult mentally challenged kids thats your business :rotfl:

Seriously you have been told what the problem is and didn't like the answers,there is no quick fix the new layer of paint will eventually all come off.The only way to fix it is to start over,sorry.

Your insults did make me laugh....... :happy:

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:27 pm
jacumja wrote: . . .All 3 spots are on my roof.

Do you have a spray gun and DA?
If so we can walk you through the repair process. If not you will be better off to have someone do it for you. Either way you will be spending money unless you have left over primer, paint and clear.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31
Next

Return to Body and Paint