• Advertisement
 

Scuff and Shoot Color Change

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!



Settled In
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:46 pm

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:16 pm
Changing color on a 69 Mach 1. Paint on car is in great shape just wrong color. Paint is about 8-10 yrs old, always garaged. Was a project car that was painted and never finished till I bought it. PO said it was painted with a single stage "plastic type" paint so I 'm guess a urethane paint. I've wet sanded it with 400 and it was pretty hard to get a good dull finish in some areas. If I hit those places with some dry 400 grit is it going to have sand lines? Also there are some seems, joints, etc I can't get into. Will the paint flake off in those small areas?
Using Shopline JP385 sealer and top coating with 3 coats of PPG Concepts single stage acrylic urethane.

Thanks

User avatar

No Turning Back
Posts: 599
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:49 pm
Location: England
Country:
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:50 am
If you don't flat it off properly the new paint won't key and it will flake off.

You have the answer to the awkward areas in your title......scuff pads !
I'd use red scuff pads and then go over the whole car with 600's assuming you're going with base and clear

User avatar

Top Contributor
Posts: 1288
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:06 pm
Location: Out in the garage.
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:51 am
Tommyjack wrote:Changing color on a 69 Mach 1. Paint on car is in great shape just wrong color......

I'm curious as to what color it is?
Are you changing it back to the OEM color?

If the paint is very hard, and not an original color, it might be DuPont Imron....
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

User avatar

Fully Engaged
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 6:56 pm
Location: southern Illinois
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:12 am
red scuff pads are for primer

you want to use the gray pads for a scuff and shoot
in the immortal words of Frank Sinatra "That's Life"

User avatar

Top Contributor
Posts: 4264
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:43 pm
Location: Charleston,SC
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:27 am
The red pads are fine....................
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"


Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com



Settled In
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:46 pm

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:53 pm
Was a viper red color. Changing back to 69 Ford candy apple red. I'm hearing 400 wet sanded will show scratches later on. What do you think?

User avatar

Top Contributor
Posts: 1288
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:06 pm
Location: Out in the garage.
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:00 pm
Tommyjack wrote:Was a viper red color. Changing back to 69 Ford candy apple red. I'm hearing 400 wet sanded will show scratches later on. What do you think?

Candy apple red; cool color! :goodjob:

I painted some black recently that 400 scratches showed up in. Candy red, I don't know, but
to be safe I'd go over your 400 with 600. It's a little more work but less worry.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army



Settled In
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:46 pm

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:27 pm
NightTrain wrote:
Tommyjack wrote:Was a viper red color. Changing back to 69 Ford candy apple red. I'm hearing 400 wet sanded will show scratches later on. What do you think?

Candy apple red; cool color! :goodjob:

I painted some black recently that 400 scratches showed up in. Candy red, I don't know, but
to be safe I'd go over your 400 with 600. It's a little more work but less worry.


Yep, Better safe than sorry, Thanks

Return to Body and Paint

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests