Paint droplet size

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

Greece
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:12 am
OldDupontGuy wrote:Here we go again,,,Another incorrect answer.
You should use a 1.3-1.5 for base and a 1.4-1.5 for clear. You would NEVER use a 1.7 for base or clear...................

1.7 goes for metallic basecoats with large pigment size.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:48 am
OK, now this has again hit my radar.

giorgos, what basecoat system do you personally use that specifies a 1.7mm tip for a gravity gun? Post a link to the tech sheet, please. If you are talking about niche cases like those Kustom shop heavy metallic flakes, that's not part of this basic conversation (and best used with a specialized gun anyway).

Your recent 'advice' here is really devaluing the conversation and could be construed as at best a bizarre joke, or at worst trying to cause harm to someone's paint job. At a minimum, it is clear that you have no experience in this field.

This needs to stop, now.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:49 am
There are many clears out that like a 1.3 or even 1.2. :wink:

Fully Engaged

Greece
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:35 am
1st) Anything with a pigment size of >50μm is not niche and NEEDS A 1.5-1.7 nozzle.
2nd) Atomization is more important than fluid flow when applying clears that's why you want a small tip size unless you want an orange peel look.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:23 am
giorgos, please re-read this thread from the beginning. The OP had a problem with atomization at 1.7 and you basically told us two things:

1. metallic base needs a 1.7 tip

2. you need a smaller tip for better atomization

So, which way should we go? Left? Right? Both?

I'm breaking my own policy of not getting into a cage fight with you guys on these threads -- but like I said you are starting to sound like you are purposefully misleading people here, and I have zero tolerance for that.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:52 pm
Thanks Chris,,

This guy don't have a clue what he is talking about.......................... ...............

It looks like he is copying and pasting from another site and he cant understand English? Who knows.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:31 pm
:rolleyes:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Fully Engaged

Greece
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:56 am
As you can see here : http://www.silberline.com/BasicTemplate ... itemid=106 most automotive silver paints have an average of 10-35 μm so if you are painting a silver base with small particles you don't need 1.7 that's why I said 1.3-1.7 for basecoats depending on what base you're painting... , that's why you need to follow manufacturer's recommendations.. regarding to my first post what I said is that contrary to what dupontguy said a clearcoat needs a finer tip size compared to basecoats for better atomization.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:20 pm
All greek to me.....sorry george...

:flatten:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:45 pm
Giorgos, you said "1.7 goes for metallic basecoats with large pigment size." If the OP is not using a metallic basecoat with lardge pigment size, then this information is not relevant to the question and is just going to confuse him. I know because I am a newby and it gets very confusing to me sometimes when I get totally differnt info from different sources. You end up in the same guessing game you were in before you posted the question, still not knowing what to do. Just trying to explain it to you in a way you might understand. Thanks, Jason
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint