Paint droplet size

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:30 am
When I am spraying on my practice hood, it seems like my paint droplet size is a bit large, I seem to be doing this with everything, primer, base, and clear. What is the best way to fix this? Tip size, air or fluid adjustment?
I used 1.7 tip for primer, 1.5 tip for base and clear, have air into hvlp gun set at I believe 35-40 psi (since I cant measure at cap).

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:57 am
You need to verify the inlet pressure for your gun, some
do require more than that and air pressure would definetly
change the drop size.
I have a gun that takes 45 psi at the inlet and one that
takes 16 psi so they do vary a lot.
And that's measured at the inlet with trigger pulled.
Both are 10 psi at the tip.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:18 pm
,,,,Tip size
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:54 pm
Screw in the fluid control, turn up the air pressure....This will make the droplet size smaller. :) 1.5mm is a bit large for base/clear but "can" work if its dialed in and your gun travel speed is adjusted to your rate of flow (speed up).

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:43 pm
A 1.5 is good for clear,,,but to big for base.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:14 pm
OldDupontGuy wrote:A 1.5 is good for clear,,,but to big for base.

Good if your trying to put out a fire...well at least for me! :rotfl:

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:51 pm
If its a dark solid color or even white, I would say 1.5 would "work" but wouldn't be ideal by far.... For clear, hose it on baby! ;) If you're spraying vertical panels, no....1.4 or even 1.3 is much better for fear of sags/runs. Flat laying large panels can take a little thicker coats without worry. 1.3 or 1.4mm tip is much better for all types of base coat colors, better control and atomization.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:00 am
You can spray with a bigger tip size and still get good results, it's all in the gun adjustment.
When I first went to HVLP I sprayed everthing with a 1.8 for a couple of years before
I learned what worked better. I got really good results with that large tip, so I don't believe the tip
size is as important as everyone believes, it's another small piece of the puzzle, but definetly
not a deal breaker. To small is much worse than to big.
If it's a decent gun and you know how to adjust it you can get good results with most
any std tip (within reason).
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:50 am
I agree with most all input at this point. In light of the tools you have at hand I would go with Bobby first. Turn in the fluid adj. half a turn in at a time while practicing after each adjustment.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:46 am
Just remember, choking down a gun can hurt its performance, and on some it will effect the spray pattern. I was told by a DeVillBiss rep many years ago that you shouldn't choke a gun down. You should change the fluid tip. I always run my guns wide open!

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com
Next

Return to Body and Paint