Pearl powder

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:49 pm
I just bought some Pearl powder.

From what I gather it is used in the clear coat, after the base, but before the final clear coats.

"With this thought in mind, anyone can make an ordinary paint job into a pearl paint job. Instead of doing a base-coat clear-coat paint job, we add the pearl paint into the middle of the mix. Base-coat, ghost pearl paint, clear-coat. We always recommend that people make their own mixes and spray a test panel before doing the entire project, and it is always wise to use a base clear, or a binder to mix the pearls with before adding the final clears. The final clear step is only recommended for custom paint, and not for powder coating, gel coating, or faux finish. If you are looking to do a project using these beautiful ghost pearls, we have a few suggestions on which colors look good over which base coats..."

http://www.paintwithpearl.com/pearl-paint.htm

thoughts, or tips?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:36 pm
The "ghost pearl paint" step is pearl powder mixed with intercoat clear (a clear base coat) and then applied over the base coat until you get the desired effect. After that you apply your regular clear coats.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:03 pm
As 68 has already pointed out the "clear" that the pearl is mixed with should always be the intercoat clear. This "locks" the pearl coat in place. I've actually seen pearl effects kind of "drift" when guys have just tried to put them in with their regular clears. If that happens you can get very mottled and uneven color shifting effects that you weren't counting on. Because of the reflections of the pearl coat it needs to be very evenly applied and you'll get that with a good intercoat. If you want to try a really high quality intercoat get in touch with **********. It's much better than the HOK stuff.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:10 pm
Yep,,,dont put it in your top coat clear. Dont use to much,,,a little goes a long way,,,and dont spray it over a high metallic color.
Most of the time two coats is all you need...
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:11 pm
Thanks a bunch guys...that was the confirmation I was hoping for. I guess I'll give a test panel a few different mixes and see what I like best.

So to be sure I'm understanding correctly, base color coats, then "intercoat" is just 2-3 coats of the clearcoat base with the pearl mixed in, then the clearcoat base with nothing added (cept activator) for the final 2-3 coats?

I will try to find a rounded panel to test on.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:47 pm
intercoat is just a clear basecoat. No pigment added. Different than clearcoat.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:50 pm
OK, thanks for that...didn't know. :worthy:

Return to Body and Paint