orange peel

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:20 pm
sorry for my english and yes i come from canada!
For the first time a use a vapor 69$ and i got an orange peel with big relief.I'm not an expert, i try to wet sand and buff but i think the orange peel it's so rough(the peak and trough difference).

after a lot of test with this VAPOR gun a buy a teckna devilbiss quickclean 450$
-i try the setup he have in the teckna book.
-i set the psi at the max for this gun:22psi with the trigger press
-i try test patern on a piece of paper, i think it's not to bad
-when i paint my front bumper a have an orange peel, but i don't try to wet sand and buff it out because i'm not in expert in buffing, and i don't know how deeper can i go without go through the clearcoat.
-i try with a piece of crap, and i pass through the clear.

i big question i have it's, when you painting a BC/CC do you already have a orange peel, and after you wetsand 1000-1500 and buff and polish.this is the way that should goes to be?

another question i have it's: Do you can paint without orange peel with a cheaper gun or a more expensive gun it's a necessity when
i want i pretty nice job?

-tommorow i try to make a real cigar patern test and i try to close a paint volume control on my gun and check what kind of result can i have!
i will post a pics tommorow to explain my problems.

thank for all reply

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:09 pm
A picture is worth a thousand words
Attachments
DSC05198.JPG

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:33 am
can i just reduce at 3-4% with reducer my clear? some body try this with LIMCO CL4200?
thanks

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:39 pm
If the tech sheet says to reduce then ok. Otherwise no. I like running my Sata full fan turned in a tiny bit to clean it up, fluid full out with trigger pulled. Turn in until it touches the trigger then maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 turn in from wide open. I have found (for me) this to work best for me on the last few jobs. I run 32-35 psi but I do hear the psi on that gun is less so don't try 35 but bump it up a couple of pounds to see what happens. The pic don't look that bad from here. You need to get 3 good coats of clear on it then get to cutting and buffing. Once you get it down it will be denibbing and sanding out bugs and peel to match the factory look.
:goodjob:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:10 am
i call tech support BASF US and a guy say we don't recommand to reduce a LIMCO clear, because a lot of probleme can result. I would paint with a less of orange peel so possible, some guy can do this. Today i will increase my pressure for clearcoat test. The BASF guy suggest me to increase the pressure to 30 psi, and the clear lawndown.i would like to paint without buffing / pollishing.I would like.

thank!

somone have a pic of nice clearcoaot without buffiing?
:wink:

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:46 pm
Side of a bumper. Uncut. No Buff. It needs a little soap and water though..lol

DSCN0709.JPG
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:55 pm
thanks TIMBO for pics. I really appreciate.

what is the size of your compressor! I check to buy a most bigger?

Nice job on your bumper
:clap:

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:20 pm
dont use a regulator to measure the psi they suck

make yourself one of these and you will be dead on

you can go to the hardware store and put it together cheap
Attachments
m_010.jpg
in the immortal words of Frank Sinatra "That's Life"

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:40 pm
7hp 60 gallon.
also listen to the basf guys.....
btw that clear is finish1 fc710 s/w.
60 bucks a gallon setup

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:32 am
i make a test at 30 psi and the result it bo bad, but i don't have a lot of time to test .I work for all weekend, i make another test monday on a car pieces.

my compressor is a 5hp 20 gal. when i buy a teckna gun i had an digital regulator, i think it work well !

I think being on a good track...

Do you shoot the base coat at 32-35 psi to :?:
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint