• Advertisement
 

Deep Rocker Damage

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!



Non-Lurker
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:03 pm

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:34 pm
Ok guys, been lurking for a while. Just purchased a '99 VW. (before anyone goes their.... I know ! )
Heres the deal, car over all has some small dings and dents, biggest problem is rocker damage and some rust on the back hatch. The car went off the road ( before i bought it ! ) and I think it hit a fairly good sized rock. The rocker is deeply pushed in - at least 3 inches if not more-hard to see from the pics, but its deep - (both sides have damage, but drivers is by far the worst-) I used a body hammer and knocked down the lip so the door would close better, it still rubs, but its better - Here are a couple of pics :

Drivers Side-
Image

Drivers Side-
Image

Drivers Side-
Image


Passenger Side -
Image


I guess what im looking for is some advice on how to repair this - My neighbor is an body paint guy - he says cut it out and tack metal back in.
I am not intimitaded by trying to weld (ok maybe just a bit because of the location, ( structrual ? or not ? ) dont have a huge amp welder either, 90 amp wire feed - afterall it is a VW so the metal is thin.... its not like a '40s Pontiac or something-
Is there any other ways to fix this, long term ? Gonna keep the car, and play race car some day with it ! but for now its a daily driver.
Car has a few more issues, but none as intimidating as the rocker damage -

Any help would be greatly appreciated -

Thanks -

User avatar

Top Contributor
Posts: 3107
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:52 pm

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:28 pm
I would stud weld to it or tack-n-pull strips starting on the out side slowly working in. Could have both pulled, filled and in primer probably half day or less. I wouldn't cut those out. Not that bad IMO.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.



Non-Lurker
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:03 pm

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:31 am
Thanks Timbo -
I was hoping for a few ideas, but maybe this is the only way to fix this.
I will give your technique a try in the next few weeks-

Thanks for the advice

User avatar

Board Moderator
Posts: 3300
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Oregon
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:38 am
Good tip on tacking strips and pulling. If you cut sheet metal coupon strips and tack them to the rocker, its a lot easier to make large pulls. Its better than trying to pull 50 little studs and having them rip holes in the rocker. ;) You can use the stud gun for the smaller pulls however.

I have a tool I made that is a slide hammer with a set of vise grips welded to it. It works better for pulling studs or tabs. You clamp the jaws of the vice grips on whatever you want to pull and give the slide a few good tugs. It works well for pulling crumpled body panels also.



Non-Lurker
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:03 pm

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:34 pm
vwbobby wrote:I have a tool I made that is a slide hammer with a set of vise grips welded to it. It works better for pulling studs or tabs. You clamp the jaws of the vice grips on whatever you want to pull and give the slide a few good tugs. It works well for pulling crumpled body panels also.


VWBobby, you dont happen to have a picture of that device do you ? I would like to see it -

Thanks



Non-Lurker
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:03 pm

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:37 pm
timbo wrote:I would stud weld to it or tack-n-pull strips starting on the out side slowly working in. Could have both pulled, filled and in primer probably half day or less. I wouldn't cut those out. Not that bad IMO.


Timbo -
Tack and pull strips ? not fimiliar with that term - can you give a newbee a bit more detail ? And correct me if im wrong but isnt a stud welder a specific tool ? just good for welding a small stud and then be able to hammer pull it back ? right ?

User avatar

Top Contributor
Posts: 3107
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:52 pm

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:07 pm
KenE wrote:
timbo wrote:I would stud weld to it or tack-n-pull strips starting on the out side slowly working in. Could have both pulled, filled and in primer probably half day or less. I wouldn't cut those out. Not that bad IMO.


Timbo -
Tack and pull strips ? not fimiliar with that term - can you give a newbee a bit more detail ? And correct me if im wrong but isnt a stud welder a specific tool ? just good for welding a small stud and then be able to hammer pull it back ? right ?


You can cut strips of metal and use the vise grips fine like bobby said. I have the vise grip attachment for the slide hammer linked below. Its a collar.
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/morgan- ... 12791.aspx

I have the Mo-Clamp set. Either way you need a mig welder.
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/p-10145-12578.aspx


The stud welder is a specific tool. BTW HF sells those guns cheap and they last for years. The slide hammer is junk though. Multiple pin pulls can be accomplished with this tool if you have the stud gun.
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/steck-e ... 14812.aspx

This is an awesome slide hammer set. The collar works with it. the collar threads on to the slide hammer and the collar slips over the nut of regular vice grips for single pin pulls. (I like my steck stud lever for single pulls). Or you can hook onto the EZ pull pliers with the hook attachment that comes with the slide kit. Either way works.
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/9-piece ... 10093.aspx
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.



Non-Lurker
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:03 pm

Country:
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:57 pm
timbo wrote:
KenE wrote:
timbo wrote:I would stud weld to it or tack-n-pull strips starting on the out side slowly working in. Could have both pulled, filled and in primer probably half day or less. I wouldn't cut those out. Not that bad IMO.


Timbo -
Tack and pull strips ? not fimiliar with that term - can you give a newbee a bit more detail ? And correct me if im wrong but isnt a stud welder a specific tool ? just good for welding a small stud and then be able to hammer pull it back ? right ?


You can cut strips of metal and use the vise grips fine like bobby said. I have the vise grip attachment for the slide hammer linked below. Its a collar.
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/morgan- ... 12791.aspx

I have the Mo-Clamp set. Either way you need a mig welder.
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/p-10145-12578.aspx


The stud welder is a specific tool. BTW HF sells those guns cheap and they last for years. The slide hammer is junk though. Multiple pin pulls can be accomplished with this tool if you have the stud gun.
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/steck-e ... 14812.aspx

This is an awesome slide hammer set. The collar works with it. the collar threads on to the slide hammer and the collar slips over the nut of regular vice grips for single pin pulls. (I like my steck stud lever for single pulls). Or you can hook onto the EZ pull pliers with the hook attachment that comes with the slide kit. Either way works.
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/9-piece ... 10093.aspx



WHOA ! Thank You Timbo -
Way more info than expected -
AWESOME !
I think i can do this now !



Settled In
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:55 pm

Country:
Canada
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:02 pm
Thanks to Timbo from me as well!! Great info

User avatar

Board Moderator
Posts: 3300
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Oregon
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:05 am
KenE wrote:
vwbobby wrote:VWBobby, you dont happen to have a picture of that device do you ? I would like to see it -

Thanks


A picture is worth 1000 words... :)
This one is about 3 feet long, but you can use a standard smaller one. This one can do some serious pulling if needed.
I got the idea from another forum member on here, can't remember who. The vice grips are welded to a nut that is threaded onto the puller, you can still adjust the jaws. I can unscrew the vice grips and attach any type of puller on the end if needed. :twisted:
Attachments
PIC_0038.JPG
Next

Return to Body and Paint

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], NightTrain, tinlid and 64 guests