EVERCOAT High Solids Urethane Clearcoat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:03 pm
Hello everyone I was wanting to know if any of you have had any experience with EVERCOAT High Solids Urethane Clearcoat Or know anything about it if its any good. And another question I bought a gallon of Dupont Nason Ful-Base B/C and the guy at the paint store said I could use lacquer thinner to reduse it and I didnt need to use the hardner that it says that it needs on the can 8:½:4
MIX:
8 parts Ful-Base®
B/C Basecoat Color
½ part Ful-Base®
483-30™ B/C Activator
4 parts Ful-Base®
441-2X™ Reducers Has any of you guys used lacquer thinner to reduce nason base coat.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:45 pm
I would bet that someone told that guy at the paint store that you could reduce it with lacquer thinner and you wont have problems. but if you want any kind of warranty with the paint I would stick to regular basemaker. No need to save a couple of bucks have it f up on you and have to tell the dupont rep that you used lacquer thinner to reduce the base. Sound really hillbilly to me. good thing you posted it first.

as far as the clear goes I would use nason clear so you will have a better shot of getting a warranty
in the immortal words of Frank Sinatra "That's Life"

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:50 pm
Use only urethane grade reducer in the nason base. Never laquer thinner. Thats for cleaning the gun.
Dude is way out I left field. Best wishes.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:43 am
,,"Has any of you guys used lacquer thinner to reduce nason base coat".

Helll NO!
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:39 pm
Man, where does this stream of bizzare advice originate from???? The guys at the paint counter obviously now officially no nothing and are just "winging" it with advice. OKAY, EVERBODY, TRY THIS.... Read your p. sheets first, then come on here and confirm it with guys that actually shoot the stuff. :rolleyes:
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:47 pm
Thats why I asked the question about the lacquer thinner because I read the data sheet for the nason And it says exactly what kind of reducer to use but when I asked the guy at the paint store he acted like he had never even hered of the stuff and told me to just use lacquer thinner and I thought that was a little strange because I asked him wanting to buy the 441-21 ful-base reducer and he didn't have it . he also told me that I didn't need to use the 483-30 base coat catalyst is it mandatory or what.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:14 am
Well, this is the p sheet that I brought up.... http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/vis ... secoat.pdf
In there it says "to achieve optimal performance" you should use it. Sounds like its' the old "kick your base" thing that guys do here routinely. If you kick your base any further touch-up work will go a lot easier as you don't get bad reactions. I do usually kick my base because I am assuming there could be some damage in reassembly on a project. Hey, ODG, jump in here with some Dupont tech....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:18 am
Always use activator in your base coat. There is nothing like watch $135 a quart base coat wrinkle. I even use activator in the base coat when I trim out parts.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:40 pm
Back to my main question has anyone ever used EVERCOAT High solids clearcoat before or here any good things about it .

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:25 pm
Ive tried laquer thinner on 2k primer, had terrible results. Use recommended reducer. wont regret it.
Next

Return to Body and Paint