HOW DO U DO BOWLING BALL PAINT JOBS

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:16 am
I have a 85 Z-28. And i am really fasinated with the bowling ball affect.. I have painted several cars in regular paint But i want my car to be a little over the top I NEED ADVISE on how to do this paint job.. Where do u start
My name is Josh. I am from Eaton Ohio and im with Double D Customs.. Just opened up a shop this year and trying to get things rolling..

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:06 pm
bowling ball effects??

Do u mean a marble type finish?
Nolan Sessions

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:57 pm
Nolan, I hope that's what he means or I'm really out of it! :shock:
We're assuming you mean marbelizing??? :wink:
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:04 am
I have heard it as a bowling ball effect.. But Yea a marble finish... I need to know how to start first to end... HOW IS THIS DONE i Dont have any clues what so ever
My name is Josh. I am from Eaton Ohio and im with Double D Customs.. Just opened up a shop this year and trying to get things rolling..

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:33 am
:) I have done two marble jobs so far. Prep and prime as ususal. I used the blue marbalizer. with a light blue base. Spray the marbalizer on and be quick about hand rubbing on the material you want the effect to look like( you only have a couple minutes) I used saran wrap, but bubble wrap, sponge,comb,brush or cheese cloth, even soft screen can work. Check out a test pattern first. It's pretty cool what you can do. The way I understand it is---the maralizer gives you a little longer on your flash time to do the mystery design.
Rick

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:29 pm
Yep, Rick is right on the money with his advice. If you want to try a real easy-to-use marbelizing agent use the Auto Air Colors in their metallics over their dark base coat. Their colors when splotched on with a brush stay open a lot longer than regular solvent based paints. That gives you time to do a lot of manipulation of the patterns. I even use feathers (you can get these at any craft store like Michael's or such) to recreate the "veining." When you get the marble effects the way you like it just heat the stuff for a few minutes with a heat gun and your ready to clear coat or even layer further colors in or on top of your pattern with more Auto Air. I'm telling you, the stuff is just a piece of cake to work with for these open coat effects.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:06 pm
There was an episode on tv about this not too long ago. I've already seen it twice. Can't really remember what show it was, but I want to say Horsepower tv. It was demonstrated on a motorcycle gas tank. Looked very nice.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:31 am
I've done it by putting your base down and let it flash real good. Then use the color you want to do the effect with and over reduce it with a very slow reducer. This might not work if your tring to do a whole car at once. I have done it on smaller jobs this way...Just my opinion of a way to do it with out having to buy a marblizer.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:10 am
I though he was asking how to paint a bowling ball :oops:

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:43 pm
:) Maybe he was...maybe he wasn't....How DO you paint a bowling ball?
I'm in a city league with a black 16 lb. ball. If I wanted to put flames on the ball, Could I sand it with 600 and shoot it ??? Would it stick? I believe it to be a urethane ball.
Rick
Next

Return to Body and Paint