Golf Cart Paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:41 am
I have been lurking here for awhile and you all have some great tips and info which is awesome. I want to paint my golf cart but am not sure which kind of paint would be best. I have been painting on and off for years but mostly piece work and never anything as flexible as a golf cart body. Do I need to add anything to the paint for flexibility? Should I use SS or B/C and if SS which kind Urethane or Acrylic Enamel? Thanks for any info you can give Thank You

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:13 pm
Welcome. The single-stage versus BC/CC often question comes down to personal choice; typically if someone is shooting a solid color I'd say just go for the single stage since you can cut runs out of it and sand/buff it out if you have any defects. If a metallic you really can't do that so in that case BC/CC is the more newbie-friendly answer. Some people like the look of solid colors under clear coat too, so that's again back to personal preference.

Regarding flex additives, generally we don't use them anymore but you should really check with the paint line you are using and see if the tech sheet recommends anything. I honestly don't know how flexible a golf cart is, but if it's equal or less flexible than the typical bumper on a new car I'd say no need to add the flex agent. If in doubt check with the paint manufacturer; they all have a tech phone number to call if needed.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:30 am
Had to stop and think about this one a bit. Almost 2 decades ago I had a good friend who owned a golf cart shop and developed a golf cart the had a drop down steering column and air suspension so it could drop down and drive into the front bin of a Prevost motorhome that is a pass through bin, open from one side to the other. Many times when a client purchased a cart to carry in the coach they wanted it painted in the same colors and design as the coach so my buddy prepped and did the masking work and I painted. Some we did in SS and some in BC /CC depending on the colors and complexity of the paint work on the coach. Did several of them and we never used any additives for flexibility in the paint. Good luck / Coy

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:53 am
Thanks guys for the replies. I am sorry I didn't introduce myself. I am Jim I am a 36 yr old Diesel mechanic who loves to paint and restore cars as a hobby. I have painted panels before just never a whole vehicle. My uncle owned a body shop and when I was much younger I worked for him and he taught me a lot but I just don't paint enough to keep up with new products and stuff. But this forum is awesome and you guys are great. Thank You so Much. My daughters want me to paint the golf cart blue I have a gallon of Subaru Mica Blue metallic I bought for another project car that I sold before paint. Couldn't refuse offer. ANyway I will let you know how it turns out It will be done here sometime in the near future..

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:40 pm
Golf carts are fun projects. I'm just about done with a full restoration on mine, just the top and brush guard left to do. It is an older metal body EZGO Marathon that I painted with BC/CC Hemi Orange. I think BC/CC is a little easier, especially for a metallic. I assume yours is plastic bodied? There really isn't much surface area that is visible on a cart by the time you put the seats and trim on, so it is pretty much like panel painting. But there is a lot of detail stuff to do, not unlike a car except on a smaller scale.
Lol, I put way more money into this than I should have but it looks good and the family enjoys it. Good luck with yours.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:39 pm
OK all it is coming out awesome well mostly. It has been a long time since I painted and my timing is off so I got some dry spots in the clear. I also missed a whole body line while I was painting I guess I cant blame anyone but myself although I let the wife in the shop while I went and played golf easter sunday (yeah bad choice) Not sure but think she used Armor all or something. I cleaned the shop to paint but when I painted the main body I got fish eyes so I resanded blah blah blah and didn't pay attention to nose and I missed a spot. Sorry for the rant just love painting and I have OCD so mad that I missed it and have to repaint the nose. and It is a Subaru Mica blue lol so I want it all to match. I will post pics when complete.

Return to Body and Paint