Painting over tin (motorcycle tank)

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:21 pm
WOW, I havnt logged in here since 2009!

I am having a motorcycle tank tin-lined, inside and out. Afterwards, I will be putting new paint on it. Acrylic Urethane base and clear.
Other than scuffing up the tin exterior of tank, what else should I know before painting over tin?

Also, does the color of primer affect the end result of the finished paint job? I want to go with the Metallic Orange Pearl that is on the new Jeep Wranglers. Would using a black primer look darker than if I used a grey or white primer?

Thank you

-Drew
Thank you!

Drew
Lake Forest, Illinoying

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:08 pm
By tin, you mean galvanizing, right? To prep that, I'd first clean it thoroughly using TSP and
then scuff it with a scuff pad. Then clean it again with TSP and dry immediately. Then prime
using an etch primer and prep normally for the basecoat. Be careful and not sand through the
zinc galvanizing.

I'd probably use a grey primer under the orange pearl.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:21 pm
getting it clean before and after prepping it is key, also if you look at the tech sheets for the primer it will let you know what a suitable substrate will be. I would use HOK KPCF Epoxy followed by white Ko-Seal II and then the bc/cc
I have had really good results using this method. One medium coat of the epoxy allow to flash for 1 hour at 70degree+ temps, follow with 2 medium coats of Ko-Seal allowed to flash and then come in with the base and clear!
hope this helps! The white will really make the orange pop!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:17 am
Awesome, advice. Thank you
Thank you!

Drew
Lake Forest, Illinoying

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:50 pm
why just not hit it with one or 2 coats of epoxy after a thourough cleaning and throw base at it and be done

Return to Body and Paint