Rat rod rustic look

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:07 pm
Hello everyone. New member here. I am building a 53 chevy truck for a freind and i am kinda confused on hwo ot do the ratrod look. There are 3 colors at play here. Starting from the bottom up. Bare metal, Grey filler Primer, Red Oxide, Blue then top coat is white. Wanting to leave everything flat.

Here is what i had planned on doing. Everything will have the grey coat. then red oxide primer/sealer, then blue, then white. Now can i just use single stage paint and sand through where i want to or does it ahve to be a base. I was told if i use a base that i have to use a midcoat clear over every color or it will all lift up. Sand the top coat then shoot it with a flat clear?

I hope you understand what i am wanting to do cost efficiently as can be. this is no show car or trailer queen and will probably only be driven once in a great while. We are leaving some dents in it also. Rusty chrome grill and bumpers.

The reason for coating the whole truck is no matter where we sand i want to be able for it to look correct going through all the colors. Even if it is in the wrong spots. I am not perfect lol.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:57 pm
To me a Rat Rod would be an "as is" look. You assemble it with whatever parts you choose in the condition they are currently in. The money all goes into the engine, tires and drive train.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:18 pm
altereddezignz wrote:.......
Here is what i had planned on doing. Everything will have the grey coat. then red oxide primer/sealer, then blue, then white. Now can i just use single stage paint and sand through where i want to or does it ahve to be a base......

I am not a fan of those paint jobs either, but you can do it that way. Use single stage and put light coats on where
you plan to sand through. Then seal it all in with a flat clear. You might want to add a little brown on the fenders
and cab top to help simulate rust.

I'd at least take the dents out and do something about the rusty bumpers... :mrgreen:
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:38 pm
With the whole truck being oxide red with a the base color over it we will sand through to the oxide. Let it set outside and let the red oxide kinda run and stain the main base color then lightly scuff and clear.
Hopefully.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:43 pm
Post some pictures in the projects section so we can see how it turns out.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint