What are the correct ways to repair these sheetmetal areas?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:28 am
I need advice on the correct way to repair these 2 areas on a 1985 Jeep CJ steel body.

I am a body repair novice, having only done sheet metal welding, filling, glazing and painting work on the inside of the body in about a dozen places. These 2 areas are on the outside of the body tub and aren't flat surfaces, so I don't want to screw them up. I am comfortable MIG welding with .28 wire on 16 gauge steel. I have plenty of steel left over from my previous round of repairs a couple of years ago.

The 2 pictures show an area under where the windshield hinge mounts, on the side. The rusty hole in the photo is about 2 inches wide. After I ground out the previous owner's patch with a strip disk, I found body filler and a fiberglass mat. It looks like there is an inner layer of metal behind the stuff I removed. I can weld in new metal, but I fear I will loose the indentation that is part of the factory design. The factory design is sheet metal about 6 inches tall, in the shape of a triangle with the top cut off. The middle is indented, leaving a 3/8" raised edge around the triangle. I still need to get in there with the cutoff wheel and make a clean hole, but I need help in the best way to approach repairing this. It may just end up filling in the indented part because I don't think it will be easy to keep the original design, and I can't find a reproduction part for this area.

The last pictures are the rear passenger corner where I backed into my BBQ pit. I think all I need to do is pound the sheet metal back to round, fill glaze, prime, and paint it. But can anyone give me a detailed procedure here, especially bringing the sheet metal back to the correct shape? Don't assume I know what I'm doing, or have any body tools.

I can post more photos if needed. I took these pictures with the intent of posting them on a Jeep forum, which I did, but was advised to post over here too, so the photos don't give you the big picture about where these problems are in relation to the whole Jeep.

thanks!

DSCF2801.JPG

CJ - body repair question 1.jpg

CJ - body repair question 2.jpg

CJ - body repair question 3.jpg
Last edited by ken4444 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:22 pm
The last two pictures you need to grind off all the paint and rust and either weld on a pull tab and pull the dents out and/or work them with a hammer & dolly.

The first picture, you will have more hidden rust in back of that panel; best to cut it all out and re-create the patch pieces to weld back in.

Although templating and making a patch panel is fairly basic metal working, it's a lot to ask for someone to type in a tutorial in a thread like this. Maybe you can find a metal shaper in your area who can render a patch panel for you that you can then weld in.

Return to Body and Paint