HOK UC35 Clear Orange Peel

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:00 am
Hey guys, I am working on my bike, and sprayed the HOK Tangelo, which went on nice and smooth, as well as KD3002 that has been reduced to a sealer. Both of those went on real smooth. However, the clear is going on with a bit of orange peel. Nothing I couldn't wet sand, but I've had much better results with Spraymax 2k out of a can, and I thought this would go on smoother. With a clear, should I turn the pressure down a bit or maybe I am just too far from the panel? I have an ATD mini hvlp with a 1.0 tip. Which I think operates similar to a 1.4 tip in a bigger gun.

Also, has anyone used HOK Tangelo, or another Pearl Base Coat? I ordered half a quart, and I ended up getting a full quart. But being completely new to all this, I'm not sure if it's pre-reduced or not. It doesn't seem as thick as the primer in the can, but that would make sense. It's not like water though. I reduced it and sprayed it, and it seems to run really easily if I mess up just slightly...

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:14 pm
Hmmm...you ought to contact the place that sold you the paint to find out what exactly you got. Some places to sell 'kits' pre-reduced.

On the gun, generally upping the pressure would help eliminate peel. Slow down your passes a little bit and sure, move in closer as well. Do you have anything to practice on?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:29 am
Upping the pressure? Interesting, I was about to try the opposite.
I've got some small panels for the bike that need painting, I an try different settings on and see which is better. They are small enough, it would only take a few minutes to colorsand them anyway.

I'm thinking it's not prereduced. I did a little spraying today and it turned out great. I just need to work on my technique to avoid runs. It's hard with all the curves in the fairing to get in the right spots and avoid runs at the same time.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:01 am
Chris has a good point to check with your jobber. If it's straight UC35 it needs to be mixed 2:1:1 (2 clear 1 reducer 1 catalyst.) It will be rather thin. Check the HOK web site and they will give you all the specks on the clear. If I remember correct they want the clear shot with a tip size of 1.3 - 1.5. Also they want you to use RU 150 or 151 catalyst (medium speed) and not KU 100 Fast. That is to let the clear flow out. This stuff is very particular so follow the tech sheet TO THE LETTER. BY the way is your tangelo a true candy (UK) or is it KBC? Good luck! Mel

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:27 am
Oh, I have been using the fast reducer! Shoot. I guess that makes sense. I was just figuring I would use the reducer that I had used for the color coat.
A 1.0 tip in a mini HVLP translates to something like a 1.4 tip in a bigger gun.

The Tangelo Pearl is a pearl base coat. The pearl is mixed in with the orange so it's real simple to spray. It's turning out pretty good though, I like it a lot.

I bought the paint from TCP Global. Such a big company won't be able to trace this one can. I've got it figured out though I think. Every single can I've gotten from TCP has been dented. Their prices are great, but the guy packaging the paint must be Lennie from Of Mice and Men.

Return to Body and Paint